1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most memorable yearbook moments

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I found at my reunions that people behaved well. People who I thought were assholes in high school were pretty OK; middle age had mellowed most of us a bit. There was just one braggart, but it was a benign buffoon act that did no real harm. I was proud of them. The hard-partying Class of 1977 is grayer, fatter, wrinkled and quieter, but nicer to be around. The cliques still exist but expand now to include anyone who shows up.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Just once. He showed me how to spell lieutenant.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

How do you find the people that aren't in any way listed? I'm not in the book and neither are my parents, who have since moved several times since I graduated and don't list their phone number.

Yeah, my name is googleable, but even from that you can't pin down where I currently live. I'm just curious because my 10-year reunion is next year and it'll be interesting to see if they can find me.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've remained in contact with one person from my graduating class, and considering I was never notified of our class picture and several other senior events, I'm not expecting an invite in three years.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The guy I mentioned in my story above (the one I had the complicated friendship with) was from the class that followed mine.

Yet, a few people from my class are now among my MySpace and Facebook friends.

6. Clever username

I haven't seen 95 percent of the people I graduated with since that day in 1999. I haven't seen or spoken to the rest in 5 years. So I certainly don't expect an invite, nor do I really want one, but I'm still curious to see if they, whoever "they" is, can find me.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Our reunion probably never would have happened if it wasn't for Facebook.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Classmates.com really helped connect people for my high school in Maine.

That's how the organizer managed to get in contact with me and several others who didn't actually walk with the class.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Facebook. Is there anything it can't do?

10. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Give Biggens dignity?

11. Clever username

Looks like I'm safe then.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

My reunion was really interesting. It occured 11 days after 9/11, for one thing. We had people attending the reunion from all over the country--my best friend came in from Kansas and we had a couple people come up from down south--and it seemed to me that nobody else was nearly as shook up as I was. That, of course, could be entirely false.

We also had it as a picnic-type gathering at a campground with a pool, a lake, basketball hoops, volleyball courts, etc. And amazingly, for the first (and thus far only) time in my life, I could do almost no wrong on the court/field. I beat one of the class' best athletes in 1-on-1 hoops while my fiance watched with his fiance. I played pretty well as the QB of a touch football team. Of course, I moved to QB right after Stormy embarrassed the shit out of me on a deep route. But it was OK, he was a stud football player 11 years earlier and I wasn't.

As for cliques...we always had a pretty good class. Everyone got along pretty well. Still, let's face it: Not everyone is going to hang out with everyone. The girl who lockered next to me for four years was the captain of the cheerleading team. We got along well and her boyfriend and I used to good-naturedly make fun of each other all the time (me for running track and liking a shitty football team, him for needing four years of football to catch one TD pass for the varsity and rooting for the Yankees), but we never hung out together. We'd occassionally cross paths at a huge party, but if they were having a small gathering I wasn't there (and vice versa). Just the way it was and it never bothered me.

So it was very cool when we went to a bar after the reunion and the cheerleader came up to me and said she was disappointed that we'd lockered together for four years yet I still didn't like her enough to introduce her to my fiance. Then we had a three-way and it was awesome Then her ex-boyfriend came up and drunkenly hugged both of us and told us how awesome we were. I felt like I belonged the entire time, and who feels that way in high school?

I worried I'd leave the reunion feeling depressed, but I felt pretty damn good.

Draft saved Draft deleted