1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most memorable yearbook moments

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Jul 27, 2008.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Even though I had plenty of good experiences in high school, I never bought a yearbook. I didn't give a crap about owning one then and I don't regret not having one now, nearly 20 years after graduating.

I guess it wouldn't be surprising to learn that I don't keep in touch with a single person I went to high school with. I'm friendly with the ones I see when I go home, but I don't have relationships with any of them.

2. dargan

dargan Active Member

Wow. That is impressive. Hopefully you got a reward for that. All I got was a $10 gift certificate to a mediocre Tex-Mex restaurant.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Which gave you food poisoning and caused you to miss graduation. Isn't it ironic?

Budcrew, you're a fucking dork. :D Did you ever go to school with the whooping cough or something in order to keep your streak together? Or did you ever go for like three periods and then leave due to illness, a la Cal Ripken Jr. getting tossed in the first inning of a game?

I probably missed less than 10 days of school in HS--check that, we went on vacation sophomore year and missed a chunk of time when we had to drive to Florida instead of flying, thanks for going on strike Eastern Airlines!--so my only cool (or uncool) streak-like thing is never getting detention. The only time I came close was sophomore year, when I was late twice to study hall. and it was by like 30 seconds both times. The third time was an automatic detention--not surprisingly, the hardass teacher ended up getting divorced before we graduated--so I stopped going to my locker between first and second period and instead carted all the books I'd need for first period as well as study hall. Pain in the ass.

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

That's the bad thing: I never even used the gift certificate.

Or is that a good thing?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Had a friend of mine, who I wasn't getting along with for the last couple weeks of school my senior year. Still, he asked me to sign his yearbook, and I gave him mine. I wrote a short little, "good luck in the future" note.

He wrote curses, calling me names, etc. A real classy note.

I've never seen him after over 15 years after we graduated. If I did, I don't think I'd be too friendly towards him.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Two things:

1) I was born in 1981.
    2) I'm surprised Preppy hasn't stepped in with some obscure Saved by the Bell reference.

7. The best friends I have are from high school. And I almost never see them. And I'm a long damn way from them and where I grew up.

I guess I just got lucky.

8. I laughed out loud at that!

9. PUh-leaze!
    Unless you were a member of the High Q team and a Founder and President of the Chess Club, you ain't shit Nerdlinger!
    I was the Alpha Nerd in high school.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I wonder where Preppy is. Maybe watching a Saved By The Bell marathon with a bowl of Fruity Pebbles?

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That's a great, poignant story. Do you know whatever happened to him?

12. Apate

Apate New Member

I thought I was a huge dork and never would have used the word "popular" to define myself, yet I was named "most spirited" in our senior superlatives voting. WTF? I thought that went to a cheerleader or something? Then again, I did dress up for every single spirit day, including the time we had to fake injuries and I put on two of those leg braces and walked around on crutches all day.

Anyway, I'd have to say the most memorable item in my yearbook, and this is from memory after not having seen it for oh, 13 years. A real quiet guy somehow managed to get my yearbook. I didn't know him. Except he once got whiplash from head banging and he had to wear a collar around for a couple of weeks.

So I'm looking for my yearbook and he's signing it and blushing furiously. He gives me this sweaty smile, and says "Here ya go" and immediately did an about face.

I looked down. It was in Klingon. I shit you not. Later I found out it was a marriage proposal. In Klingon. Somewhere there's a serial killer who knows Klingon. Mark my words.

Draft saved Draft deleted