1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most memorable TV moments

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

1. Alabama wins the BCS Championship, Jan. 9, 2012.
    2. Alabama wins the BCS Championship, Jan. 7, 2010.
    3. Alabama wins the National Championship, Jan. 1, 1993.

... uh, nevermind.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So I take it no one is voting for the Seinfeld finale, then?

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Things that should have been on the list, but weren't:

Watergate hearings/Nixon's resignation: They were THE thing to watch that summer. I was just a little kid and can still remember my parents sitting, riveted to the TV set, every day.

The moon landing. A seminal moment in history that, dramatically speaking, was all but made for TV.

Even more than Princess Diana's death, her wedding to Prince Charles. I and most of the country was up at 4 a.m. that day, just to watch that event, and to me, it seemed much bigger, and more of a spectacle than Prince William's and Kate Middleton's wedding.

We talk, rightly, about JFK's assassination, but what about JFK Jr.'s death? It, too, held held the country captive to the TV for about four days straight, and I think everyone genuinely felt bad, for the family and the country, over his loss. He didn't have the impact his father did, and neither did his death. But I think there was real mourning that occurred for many even besides his own family. He really was "America's prince," if there has ever been one.

The fall of Saigon, Tiananmen Square, and the fall of the Berlin Wall probably should have been in there somewhere, too.

And if you want something recent, where was the Chilean miners' rescue? Riveting TV that, again, had everyone capivated.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i'll second:
    1a 9/11
    1b jfk

nothing else is even close, imo.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Watergate is the first news event I remember on TV. I remember being pissed because the morning cartoons were pre-empted for hearings.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

ha. i was going to be, but my grandmother made me stand up and take notice.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It wasn't the first news event I remember, but I do remember feeling the same way about the Iran-Contra hearings.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Al Capone's vault.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I know it was scripted, but a memorable moment for me is when they killed off Col. Blake on M*A*S*H.

Everyone knew McLean Stevenson was leaving the show, but the death was unexpected and hit on the reality of war and that a lot of people never made it home.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The Chilean miner thing reminds me that Baby Jessica was a huge TV event that hasn't been mentioned on this thread yet.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Good call, I'd mention Edith's death on All In The Family too.

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Miracle on Ice.

U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A

Draft saved Draft deleted