1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most memorable TV moments

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Agreed. I can rattle off what each of those dates represent with minimal thinking. 4/19/93, 4/19/95 and 4/20/99 should be in the conversation, however.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Each time I hear "Walking on Sunshine," I immediately think of the "Katrina & The Waves" thread ... such a riveting thread.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Me too. And I just remember when it started, and I was like 'Meh.' And then as it went on, and it ramped up ... that night before it hit, I truly went to bed assuming that the world would be different when I woke up. and it was all because of that thread.

4. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Kennedy assassination and 9/11 are tied at the top for me, although I wouldn't call either of these experiences "moments."

I was in first grade when Kennedy was killed. We were sent home after it was announced that Kennedy was dead. By the time I got home, the rest of my family were all together watching TV. As I remember it, that's basically where everyone stayed until the funeral was over. I remember Oswald being shot and being totally confused because I thought the president was the one that was shot. Everyone else was so absorbed in what was happening that it didn't occur to anybody to explain anything to me. I remember the horse in the funeral procession with the backward boots.

9/11 was the same. It wasn't just watching as the towers burned and fell (I actually listened to all of that on the radio as I was driving from CT to Pittsfield, MA that morning so didn't see everything until I got to my destination), but like with Kennedy it was watching the TV for hours and days.

Although Katrina doesn't tie with Kennedy and 9/11 for me, it was the same kind of experience.

Nixon resignation is a good one. I totally remember where I watched that.

5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I'm too young for most of the stuff on this list. Hell I was in school during 9/11 and didn't watch anything on TV until late that afternoon, long after the towers collapsed.

I distinctly remember when the Colombia broke up over Texas in 2003. I couldn't believe how quick they got amateur footage of it breaking up on the air.

Most memorable is probably Obama's victory speech, and what a damn good speech that was. I envy the man's oratory skills.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Didn't know what happened with Challenger until I got home from school. Our class was rowdy, so we weren't allowed to see the launch.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Here are my personal top 10 greatest historical moments that kept me riveted to the TV:

1. 9/11
    2. JFK
    3. Challenger
    4. Columbia
    5. Oklahoma City bombing
    6. Nixon's resignation
    7. Munich Olympics attack
    8. John Lennon's death
    9. Osama
    10. Indian Ocean tsunami

NOTE: I've mentioned already that I was in the middle of Katrina and had no TV for that event, and I was at the Boy Scout Jamboree in Idaho w/o access to a TV for the first moon landing.

8. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Thank you.

9. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

If you want sports moments - - none of which really measure up to many of the items on the original list - - consider Don Larsen's perfect game; Mazeroski's World Series winning home run, the "Greatest Game Ever Played", the "Ice Bowl", Super Bowl III, the NC State win in the tournament under Jim Valvano; Cal Ripken Jr. breaking Lou Gehrig's record.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Japanese earthquake, watching the tsunamis roll in live on TV, and the Fukushima nuclear disaster were memorable as well.

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

No. 8 ....that was a moment. Cosell breaking in on mnf with the news on lennon.

I will throw in the oj bronco chase...i vividely remember.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would love to have seen Cosell's look to Gifford with that "awesome" follow up to his hard news report.

Draft saved Draft deleted