1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most memorable game-winning home run?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That was an amazing game. Can still see the Angels OF jumping for that ball Henderson hit.

As a Jays' fanboi looser obviously the Carter homer will be No. 1 but Alomar's homer off Eckersley wouldn't be far behind. if they lose that game I don't know if they get by Oakland to get to the WS.

Greatest game winner I ever saw in person was Buck Martinez hitting a two-run shot off Aurelio Lopez with one out in the 12th inning to give the Jays a 2-0 win over the Tigers on June 6, 1985. (Thanks, Retrosheet!). Dan Petry and Jimmy Key had an unreal duel - each guy pitched 10 innings. It was one of the greatest games in Jays' history. I was sitting about 20 feet from where Martinez's homer landed in the left-field seats.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I thought the umpiring crew brought him back out later, when the crowd was gone, and had him touch home plate so the home run could be ruled official.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Home plate got stolen by the mob, but the umps had Chambliss come out and touch the space where the plate was.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I had heard about that home run, never saw the footage. So when I saw the replay on ESPN Classic, I couldn't believe the madness. I can't even imagine what would happen if that scene happened today.

Draft saved Draft deleted