1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most memorable game-winning home run?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Aug 22, 2010.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I was joking.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

If Rivera was any good he would have gotten him out. [/2003 arguments]

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

In my lifetime, it's Gibson, and it's not even close. Add two memorable calls by Scully and Buck only adds to it.

All time? Thomson and Mazeroski are in the top five. Joe Carter isn't in the top 20.

Someone mentioned it up above, but F Dave freakin' Henderson.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

They're your memories, so I won't argue too strenuously, but I don't understand how one of only two World Series-winning home runs in history doesn't even make top 20 on your list. But, whatever.

Agreed.

6. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Well, if we are going by ones that we remember and are not game-winning, Hank Aaron's No. 715 to break Babe Ruth's record has to be top 5, maybe top 3 behind Thomson and Maz. That was not only memorable for what happened, but also the two guys following him around the basepaths and the build up over the offseason, including death threats.

In the past 20 years, I'll stick by McGwire's 62 as far as anticipation, pregame hype and the duel with Sosa being the most memorable.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was listening to the Mariner's pre-game show today and they were interviewing an author who titled (or subtitled at least) The Greatest series Ever about the Mariners-Yankees in '95.
    In Seattle? Sure. Greatest moment in their history. Made me think of what the greatest moments were for other baseball teams.
    The Chambliss homer would be up there for almost any team other than the Yankees.
    I remember George Brett's shot to the right field upper deck against Gossage in Yankee Stadium
    I actually think the Sox beating the Yankees in the ALCS was bigger than them going on and ending the curse. Of course, if they didn't win the Series....

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

When you turn most computers off you get that stupid Windows series of tones or whatever that's annoying. When I turn my computer off I have Jack Buck's call of Gibson's homer in 88. It's iconic.

I also remember Tony Fernandez's homer in game 6 of the '97 ALCS, but not for any of the right reasons. Yeah, throw another hanging slider, Benitez.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Gotta agree because of the circumstances. Kirk Gibson's shot off Eck was clutch and I'm still reeling from Joe Carter's lucky blast off a dead-armed Mitch Williams.

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Go-ahead home run would have been Ozzie Smith in the 1985 NLCS.

I was a brand-new computer operator-in-training and the guy who was leaving was an asshole. He also was a big Dodger fan.

Every time the Dodgers would go ahead, the sumbitch would crank up the game on the radio.

I would turn it back down to normal volume.

Then, when Ozzie cranked one off of Tom Niedenfuer, I cranked the mofo up as loud as it would go.

11. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

1. Kirk Gibson's home run in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series
    2. Sept. 18, 2006, Dodgers vs Padres. Nomar Garciaparra hits two-run HR in 10th to beat Padres after Dodgers hit four HRs in a row to tie the game in the ninth.
    3. Oct. 2, 2004, Steve Finley hits game-winning grand slam against the Giants to clinch the NL West.

It's all about perspective. I care more about Mike Scioscia's home in the NLCS against the Mets in 1988 than I do about Joe Carter and the Blue Jays or Bobby Bobby Thomson and the Giants. Game-winning Dodger home runs will always take precedent in my book.

12. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

That series had two home runs I would rather soon forget. Ozzie's and Jack Clark's at Dodger Stadium. That Dodgers team was probably the best of the 80s bunch, had hitting and pitching, just couldn't beat the Cardinals.

Draft saved Draft deleted