1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most memorable game-winning home run?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I agree that Thomson's and Mazeroski's are the best, but I've always liked Kirby Puckett's homer in Game 6 in 1991, especially with Jack Buck's call, "We'll see you tomorrow night!"

2. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Maybe by the casual Baseball fan, but I think if you follow the sport on a year to year basis, then you remember this one quite well.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would say Carter doesn't come close because baseball in 1993 was in itself not what baseball in 1951 or '60 was. Carter hit his home run on a Saturday night, and there's a better chance the average sports fan was watching his college football team.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Thomson. No "p."

For me, there's no question.
    Ryan Zimmerman, 2008, game-winner to beat the Braves in the first game at Nationals Park.
    It's been all downhill ever since.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Or at some dance club with a girl he was trying to...date.

We were ripping it up (snort) when the DJ says "The Toronto Blue Jays just won the World Series." I think, hey, that's nice. Get in the car, put on WFAN (this girl was a long-time friend and we were in that are-we-or-aren't-we phase, so putting on sports radio during a quasi-date didn't faze her in the least) and hear how they won it. Sonofabitch.

Postscript: We didn't...date. But she's still one of my best friends, so it all worked out. He says 17 years later. :D

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

As much as I hate the Yankees, I agree if for no other reason than the way the fans stormed the field. It was quite a sight. My dad still doesn't like to talk about 76, 77 or 78, but especially 76.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

What I remember the most about this one was the chaos on the field as Chambliss tried to round the bases. I don't know how Kansas City's outfielders got to safety. Maybe through the bullpen. Talk about coitus interruptus for a K.C. fan.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

And to this day, Chambliss still hasn't touched home plate.

9. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I have to agree with BYH on this. I've seen quite a few, but for me the question was answered as soon as I saw the thread title, Gibson was the first one to pop into mind.
    Doesn't matter that was just Game 1 of an otherwise normal World Series. Doesn't matter that, I too, have never been a big Gibson fan (not a hater, just not a fan).
    What matters is that was one moment of pure beauty and everything that set that up to be a classic moment. The most dominant closer in the game facing the hobbling power hitter And Gibson looks pathetic just fouling off the first pitch, so much so you almost wander is Lasorda might say it's not worth it. Two more fouls and its 0-2 and he's shown that he can hardly run when he fouls off the third pitch. So it may as well be over. Ball 1. Another foul. Ball 2. Then at 3-2, Gibson takes time. And there it is...the "roll of the dice" has paid off.
    Lasorda running out of the dugout arms in air...Gibson limping around the bases after not even being in the dugout all night...the arm pump.

As far as memorable calls go, "The Giants win the pennant, the Giants win the pennant" may forever be remembered. But as far as the home run, Gibson's is hard to top.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Mark McGwire also hit a walk-off in the 1988 Series, in Game 3. It temporarily got the A's back in the Series after losing Games 1 and 2. But no one remembers, because the game was tied at the time, and the A's ended up losing the Series.

That might be the only Series with two walk-offs.

Dusty Rhodes hit a 3-run extra-inning homer to win Game 1 of the 1954 Series (the Willie Mays catch game), and to spark the underdog Giants' sweep of the Indians, who had a won a record 111 games. Probably as unexpected as Gibson's homer, and just as important to the outcome of the Series.

But games played in black-and-white don't matter anymore, even such games involving New York teams.

11. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Not game-winning, but I'd say Mark McGwire's 62nd homer to pass Roger Maris was more memorable than Joe Carter's just because of the buildup and the fact it occured against the Cubs with Sammy Sosa in the outfield. Also was before all the steroids information had come to light so it seemed more magical.

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

HH, Scully called Gibson's blast on NBC television. You must have been listening to Jack Buck on CBS Radio: "I don't believe what I just saw. ... I don't BELIEVE what I just saw." Nearly drove off the highway listening to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted