1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most memorable game-winning home run?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

After reading the Bobby Thomson thread, I decided to create this thread. There's a lot of memorable game-winning home runs in the history of Baseball, in your opinion which one is it and why?

In my opinion it's Joe Carter hitting a three run home run against the Phillies in Game six to win the World Series. Carter comes to the plate with one out, Molitor and Henderson on base, Williams pitching, 2-2 count and Carter blast it to Left Field to win the World Series.

"Touch 'em all, Joe! You'll never hit a bigger home run in your life!"

2. Crash

Crash Active Member

Joe Carter is the most memorable one of my lifetime for sure. I don't know how there could be one that tops it.

Dave Justice's game-winner in Game 6 of the '95 Series is memorable to me as a Braves fan, though it doesn't quite count since it came in the sixth-inning.

Robin Ventura's "Grand Slam Single" for the Mets was pretty memorable as well because it came against the Braves.

Other than Kirk Gibson, though, I don't think anything can touch Thomson or Carter's.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Thomson and Mazeroski.
    No one else comes close.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I'm a Sox fan, but Aaron Boone's home run in the 11th inning of Game 7 of the ALCS is pretty big, considering before he hit it, I'm sure some fans were asking, "Who is Aaron Boone?"

5. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Can you explain to me why you don't believe Joe Carter's home run doesn't come close? I respect your opinion since those are both memorable home runs, but I'm just curious to know your reason behind your post.

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Several, for different reasons:

* Carlton Fisk, 1975 World Series. It was the first baseball game I remember watching, because my parents let me stay up late to watch the end. I was 11, and my father died when I was 12.

* Joe Carter, 1993 World Series. During the 1992-93 preseason, Carter, a free agent, was torn over re-signing with the Blue Jays or going to his hometown Kansas City Royals. His mother told him to follow his dreams; he did, and dreamed of blue jays. I think he made the right choice.

* Kirk Gibson, 1988 World Series. I hated both Kirk Gibson and Dennis Eckersley, and didn't care who won the battle. We had just finished playing a fast-pitch softball game and were all standing around the parking lot listening on a car radio. Despite my disdain, the feeling was electric, made all the more memorable by Vin Scully's call.

Ironically, I have seen a walk-off home run in real life, at Kauffman Stadium, but I don't remember when or who.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Because Carter's home run did not come in the final game of the series. If he pops out, there's Game 7 tomorrow.

Thomson's home run culminated one of the most memorable come-from-behind pennant races in baseball history between the two most heated rivals in baseball history (the Yanks-Red Sox thing is more a product of TV. The Giants-Dodgers rival was so real that Jackie Robinson retired when the Dodgers tried to trade him to the Giants).
    Mazeroski's home run -- even though the game was tied and the worst the Pirates could do was go to extra innings -- is the only Game 7, bottom of the 9th, World Series winning HR in history. It also capped a series in which the Pirates, for the most part, were dominated by the Yankees, but still came out as champions.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

For "memorable"? To an actual recent generation? With good film of it?

Yeah, Gibson comes close.

I'm a huge proponent of Dodgers-Giants as Best National League Rivalry (when the Cubs actually do something, they can claim a rivalry with the Cardinals), but one fact lost in this "Robinson retired because he hates the Giants!" line is the fact that he was 37 years old. So I'm not sure he needed a major push to hang it up.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/robinja02.shtml

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

I am well aware that Jackie was 37 at the time but he undoubtedly plays at least another year with the Dodgers.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Kirk Gibson also had another iconic shot in 1984. Eighth inning, two men on, Tigers leading 5-4. Gossage talks Williams into pitching to Gibson, who puts the next pitch high into the right field stands at Tiger Stadium and iced the World Series.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Among the more overlooked, Chris Chambliss in the bottom of the 9th of Game 5 of 1976 ALCS to put the Yanks in the World Series for first time since '64.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Gibson is way up there just for the sheer shock factor. I think it's the most amazing baseball moment of my lifetime: A man who can barely walk hits a game-winning home run off the most dominant closer of his generation (I consider Rivera/Eck to be different generations)? Unreal. I don't think it's a stretch, either, to say that if Gibson whiffs or pops out or grounds out, the A's win the Series fairly easily.

Plus, the visual (Gibson limping around the bases, occasionally summoning up the strength to pump his arm) and the audio (Jack Buck and Vin Scully) is incredible. "I don't believe what I just saw." "In a year of the improbable, the impossible has happened."

See/hear for yourself:

Draft saved Draft deleted