1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most Insufferable Holiday Hit.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Dec 19, 2006.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

True, but give him credit for Cradle of Love. I don't know if he had anything to do with it, but that was the best music video ever.
    Maybe not the best, but the girl was DAMN hot.

Threadjack over.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Maybe you had to be 11 in 1984 to like him, but Billy Idol rocks. "Rebel Yell" is an excellent album.

"Eyes Without A Face" is one of the great singles of the '80s.

And yes, the girl in the "Cradle of Love" video was unspeakably hot. Turns out Billy's motorcycle accident wasn't such a bad thing! Had he not been incapaticated, he would have done more in the video than sneer a couple times and maybe there wouldn't have been any room for the hot chick.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Make that two of us.
    That song makes me want to shoot my radio.

4. Play this post backwards.
    (I buried Paul....)

5. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I saw that a while back and had similar thoughts.
    "It's a nice day for a WHITE CHRISTMAS!"
    It's a nice day to... STAAARRT AGAAIN.... OWW!"

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I believe the subtitle to the album is "Mailing It In."

If you need to wash your ears of bad Christmas music, you can always put on some Robert Earl Keen:

Carve the Turkey
    Turn the ball game on
    Mix margaritas when the eggnog's gone
    Send somebody to the Quickpak Store
    We need some ice and an extension cord
    A can of bean dip and some Diet Sprites
    A box of tampons, Marlboro Lights
    Haleluja everybody say "Cheese"
    Merry Christmas from the family

7. Maybe "SLAMS IT HOME!!!!" wasn't the best way to put it in this context.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I just barely prevented myself from spitting coffee onto my keyboard.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I hear Jose Feliciano, and think of the version a co-worker of mine used to sing around the office: "Police stopped my car/police stopped my car"...

10. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Billy Idol is quite underrated, IMO. Rebel Yell was a very good album, and some of the lesser-known songs were good, too, like Flesh For Fantasy and Catch My Fall. And the follow-up album with Forgot To Be a Lover wasn't bad, either.

And, yes, the chick in the Cradle of Love video was hot, but she still didn't prevent these awful lyrics from being seared into my memory:

Rock the cradle of love
    Rock the cradle of love
    Yes the cradle of love

I get it, Billy. It's a cradle of love. Thanks for playing.

Oh, and to get back to the Christmas thing, I like Elton John's Step Into Christmas but the fadeout is repetitive; Eartha Kitt's version of Santa, Baby is good but Madonna's sucks; I can handle The Christmas Song if it's Nat King Cole [easily the best version] or Jack Jones, anyone else, uh-uh; and a crappy song I'd forgotten about until I heard it the other day is 'Hey, Santa' by Wilson Phillips.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I was going to mention it was one of the, if not THE, first albums I liked from start to finish. The deep tracks were very good there. Catch My Fall was excellent. And remember Blue Highway?

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

File under "Whoa." I turn on the classic a moment ago and "Eyes Without A Face" is on.

Draft saved Draft deleted