1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most inappropriate questions ever asked at a press conference

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 23, 2008.

1. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

The Doug Williams question was never asked.
    Butch John, then a reporter for the Clarion-Ledger, DID NOT ask him how long he has been a black quarterback.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/020105/woo_17840492.shtml

2. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

But thanks for reading all, what?, 10 posts on this thread, four of them about that specific "incident."

3. spud

spud Member

Has GOT to be the TV reporter that put this zinger to Singletary earlier this year:

"I heard that your mentor Bill Walsh was one of the first phone calls that you made when you found out that you had the job. What does it mean to you to be the head coach of the 49ers?"

That or the one Mike DeArmond asked a Baylor basketball player (with the whole '03 murder in mind) after a BU win last year.

*player says something about God's role*

"Where was God in this program five years ago?"

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I kinda like that one.

5. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

A university recently held a Saturday night press conference on the weekend after Thanksgiving to fire a coach. The first question the athletic director was asked (by a TV guy) was, "You know, a lot of us had to work on Thanksgiving and yesterday. Couldn't you have done this on Monday or Tuesday?"

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No. But that is usually the post that follows.

7. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

the case is still open!
    and ragu, you were right.

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

That's awesome.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

And later ...

Q: Coach, I’m a neutral reporter (from Boston) and it was a physical game. Did you enter the game by fighting fire with fire since Kentucky is big club?
    DB: You must be from Cambodia, then. No, we didn’t. You don’t do it by starting fights. I think you saw me go out on the floor and bring all five players to the sidelines so there wouldn’t be a fight. What is it? It’s an emotional game and you can’t control everything, but no, I didn’t want them to elbow them or trip them or grab them by the damn jersey or anything like that. In fact, almost the opposite. Prior to going out on floor, I told them two important ingredients. One they must out-rebound Kentucky and two, if it was going to turn into a physical game we couldn’t work it, we couldn’t win it, that they would have to stay away from Kentucky as much as possible, front them, don’t have contact with them if possible, get help-side defense and take the charges. So we can’t win a physical game against them. That’s like beating the US Marines, you know, they’re just too big and brawny and gifted.

Q: Higgs, after he picked up his third foul, he still didn’t shy away from the contact or aggressive play, did he?
    DB: It must be really hard, I’ve tried to put myself in his place and he’s been painted as everything from Eldridge Cleaver to Rap Brown and what have you. It must be really hard for him. And it must be real hard, here’s a kid that at one time wanted to come to Kentucky and yet it seems like he’s landed from Saturn. I just can’t believe people get their kicks for four years…..I just wonder how many of those people who booed him know him? But you’re right, he doesn’t let up. He’s a very aggressive player.

Ah, there'll never be another Daddy Dale.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

"I was worried about losing until I looked down the floor and saw Dale Brown."
    - another media darling

Nothing to do with this thread's focus, but I just thought the timing was right.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of the best quotes in the history of sports.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's a big difference between asking a stupid question and asking an inappropriate one.

Early in my career I watched a student reporter and a college basketball coach argue over why a player didn't intentionally miss a free throw at the end of a game and it was very clear that the reporter didn't know what the fuck she was talking about.

I think most of us have baited a coach or a player at a few points in our careers, but not in a press conference setting.

I can honestly say I don't think I've ever tried to embarrass a coach or player in a press conference.

Draft saved Draft deleted