1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most important thing in BASEBALL playoff series

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by suburbia, Feb 23, 2008.

?

What is the most important thing for a BASEBALL team to have in a playoff series?

1. Strong starting pitching

28 vote(s)
    84.8%
  2. Strong bullpen

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  3. Manager who is a great tactician

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Strong lineup

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fat bill never played baseball past little league, either.

2. statrat

statrat Member

You take your team of David Ecksteins and I'll take mine of A-Rods and we'll see who wins more world series. Shitty players are shitty players and good players are good players. Period.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'm going to need a mean regression estimator first.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what you said makes no sense oh lover of fat bill.

and, btw, since you mentioned it, how many rings does a-rod own?

5. statrat

statrat Member

I don't love "Fat Bill" was just pointing out that the concept of clutch is a stupid one. David Eckstein is not clutch simply because he's a little white guy who lucked into being a part of two world series teams. David Ortiz is not clutch. He's just a freaking good hitter. Alex Rodriguez is not clutch. He's just a freaking good hitter who took a shit load of money to play for a crappy team (Texas) and then single-handedly got the Yankees to the playoffs last year.
    "Clutch" is a stupid, lazy term that says nothing. "Clutch" players are just guys who are really good anyway or happened to be lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.

6. statrat

statrat Member

I'm not exactly a stathead either. I don't think I can even do long division anymore. I just recognize that clutch is a stupid term.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the concept of clutch is stupid to you because you don't understand it and you obviously don't know sports ... fuck, you don't know much about people, either.

people act differently in pressure situations. if you can't understand that, well, there's not much sense talking down to you any longer.

8. statrat

statrat Member

Christ Petty, wasn't trying to start a pissing match.

If a general manager wants to give a guy a big contract sole on the basis that he's clutch, like GM's have been doing with Eckstein for years, I believe that GM is dumb.

If you want to believe in clutch, go right ahead. I won't infringe on that belief. I'll continue to believe that it is a virtual non-factor.
    I don't think that will stop us from happily co-existing.

Edit: And to demonstrate my good will I have gone back and made my original "Fuck clutch" post into rainbow colors, so it looks all happy now.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no it won't, but you did forget to mention how many rings a-rod owns.

10. statrat

statrat Member

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Pretty clutch post.

12. statrat

statrat Member

Nah. Just a reflection that Petty is a good poster the rest of the time. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted