1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most idiotic parent ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I still can't get over the sound of the kid crying.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I saw an interview with Caden's mom who said he "just slipped away."
    I call bullshit. Her and/or hubby were too busy watching the game and didn't know where he was.
    Maybe he'll "just slip away" next time Pop stops on the side of the road with a flat tire.
    Morons.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

That's the part that bothered me the most.
    In one way, though, the crying was good, he never lost consciousness.

4. This parent was stupid - plain and simple. When there are guys flying around trying to hammer each other, you don't put your 4-year old anywhere near them. Never. Ever.

The university is stupid, too. Anyone who has been on the sidelines knows that it's difficult for adults to get out of the way of players. I feel sorry for the football player, who apparently was pretty shaken up by it.

5. celtics_apologist

celtics_apologist New Member

I agree. Silence would have been the scariest sound in that scenario. Glad he's OK.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Ay caramba. It's extremely easy to let a 4-year-old "slip away." All you have to do is turn your head for a second. That's happened to the best of parents (i.e., myself).

Plus, if it was a kids' party, they were probably letting the kids run around and, you know, have fun, instead of being on mommy's leash.

That said, having a kids' party on the sideline during a football game/practice is probably not the best idea in the world. Just like you wouldn't have a kids' party near the on-deck circle during a baseball game. There were some dumb decisions made, but I've seen worse goofs in parenting, especially from myself, than what happened there.

7. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

When little kids are allowed to play football five feet from the actual grown-up game and get creamed, we in the press box call it comic relief.

8. Exactly.

Sideline of a football game is not a safe place to leave a kid unattended. Jeez. Added: Might as well let them play in a parking lot.

And Freelance, I sure am glad I had the sound turned off when I watched this video.

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Whenever these parenting threads pop up, I seriously wonder in what padded room some of you were raised.

The kid was playing on the sidelines during a football game. I think we can hold off on calling social services. Kids play, kids get hurt. It's life. Hell, sometimes, kids even die. It's a terrible, terrible tragedy when it happens, and it almost always could've been prevented. But at the same time, freaky shit happens and tragedies occur.

The kid's four. It's not like dad had an infant resting in its car seat on the sideline.

As much as you might like to think you can, you can't protect kids every second. You try not to put them in bad situations and try your best to keep an eye on them as much as possible. This wasn't a bad situation for the kid. There was a one-in-a-thousand chance something was going to happen. He had better odds on that field than he did in the car on the way to the game.

10. So just roll the dice ...

Add: And if your kid dies doing something you could have easily prevented take comfort in the fact that oh, hell, tragedies occur.

11. dog428

dog428 Active Member

YES. You roll the dice every damn day you get out of bed. Same with your kids.

The only thing to argue is the degree of danger.

The chances of something serious happening to that kid on the sidelines was pretty freakin' low. Oh, he might've been knocked down or had some other minor incident, but the odds of him being hit full force by a receiver diving for a ball were roughly the same as me being struck by lightning while holding a winning lottery ticket.

To have these parents labeled the "most idiotic ever" is a helluva reach. Questioning their parenting skills at all is a bit much.

EDIT: Since you added, I will too.

There's not a tragedy that occurs that couldn't have been prevented. Not one.

Had kid and dad walked off the field that day without incident, no one would've given it a second thought. If, without seeing this thread, you went to a scrimmage tomorrow and noticed some kids playing off to the side of the field, you wouldn't give it a second thought.

Bad parenting is when you put your kids in situations in which something bad is LIKELY to occur.

12. You're right, the chances of being hit by a receiver were low. I would have placed my money on a linebacker chasing down a running back ...

My three year old would never have been on that field without me next to her ... I can't imagine ... and that does not make me parent of the year.

Only one person named the thread and it wouldn't be the first time something on here was exagerated ... what's it called, hyperbole?

Draft saved Draft deleted