1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most gruesome sports injuries?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Aug 3, 2007.

?

What is the most gruesome sports injury ever?

1. Joe Theisman's leg

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Herb Score's eye

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The Slamball guy's leg

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Tyrone Prothro's broken leg

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  5. Other

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

12th round, maybe? Paret was knocked unconscious, but was still standing in the corner. Griffith landed 13 unanswered blows before the ref stepped in. Paret died nine or 10 days later, after never regaining consciousness.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I wasn't totally sure of the details (the round, the number of blows). Paret was still standing with the ropes holding him up until the ref got Griffith off of him, then just collapsed, and hit his head on the bottom turnbuckle. Very haunting to watch.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Ruby Goldstein, one of the top refs of that era, worked that fight. I have a book that the NY Times put out some years back with reprints of articles on boxing going all the way back to James Corbett's win over John L. Sullivan.

A story done the day after the Griffith-Paret fight mentions that there was loads of second guessing (not surprising) of Goldstein's decision to not stop the fight sooner. Paret had been in trouble in the sixth but knocked Griffth down and he was in a bad way in the 10th but came back to win the next round.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Thing is, it's still just blood... it's not like you ever see the actual wound.... A lot of it is implied. Though I'm still trying to figure out how Malarchuk lived.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Haven't read the entire thread, but without Malarchuk the poll is invalid.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Malarchuk was awful.
    Kevin Stevens' broken face in 1993 was brutal.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Have to agree with JR: Malarchuk tops any leg/knee/face injury. That was Faces of Death stuff, except without the death.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

On May 14, 1993, the Penguins were playing the New York Islanders in game seven of the Patrick Division Finals when Kevin Stevens suffered a terrible injury. Early in the first period, Stevens skated in and attempted to hit Islanders defenseman Rich Pilon, but instead was met by Pilon's visor which promptly knocked Stevens unconscious. He fell and hit the ice face first, and was unable to use his hands or arms to cushion the blow. Stevens then needed extensive reconstructive surgery on his face. Doctors cut an incision below his hairline from ear-to-ear, which was later closed with over 100 stitches, peeled back his skin and reassembled the bones in Stevens face with the use of metal plates.

I can't find the video, and I think I'm glad.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Winner winner chicken dinner.

[​IMG]

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You might want to link that. It may make some squeemish.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That was scary as hell because the way he hit the ice face first and didn't move I thought he was dead.

Draft saved Draft deleted