1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most expensive dinner?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

A player in this weekend's Ryder Cup bought dinner for three of us in his hometown last year (we've known him since he was a kid). He even refused to let us leave the tip, though I ended up giving the guy who made recommendations about what we should order $60.

My best guesstimate about the tab was between $300-$350, depending on what the costs of beers were.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Beat me to it.

Six of us ate at a nice Japanese place. I had to pick up the bill for two others because they forgot their money. Ended up being maybe $80. And those friends not only made sure to take care of some things for a while, but they're also still very good friends.

I'm sure high-end places are probably worth it, but it may take some convincing personally ...

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I once picked up a $60 tab at Olive Garden. I'm high class...

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sam, it depends on how much you're into food. To me, the most expensive restaurants (not steakhouses, that I can do at home) the best value in a sense. Those three-star meals I had are lifelong memories, so I feel I've amortized the large investment and then some.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Dear Lord, some of you are insane. Most damage I've ever done was $200 on brunch for two at Commanders Palace.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's a terrible stretch to call me any sort of foodie. I like Mountain Dew, Mac & Cheese and prefer well-prepared chicken to any beef. I take a sandwich into work with me not only because it's acceptable, but also to save on buying cafeteria fare. Not exactly a exotic palate at work here ...

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I spent $75 for lunch for two there (me and my wife; we just happened to pick a couple of cheaper dishes). I would've gladly spent twice that for dinner. It's really more of an experience than a meal. We were there about two hours and waited on hand and foot.
    At one point our wait staff was clearing some dishes from the table, so I picked one up to hand it to them so they wouldn't have to reach. The head waiter snapped at me, "What are you doing!? Put that down! I wouldn't expect to clear the table at your house and you're not going to do it here!"
    I sheepishly put the dish back on the table and let them get it themselves.

Most expensive was probably $500 (including a $100 tip) for our wedding rehearsal dinner. About a dozen people or so. I signed the check, but it was mom's money.
    Spent a little over $200 a few weeks later on dinner for four with the in-laws, as a thank you for their help with the wedding.
    Most on dinner for two was $180 at a Ruth's Chris. A bunch of people had sent the wife and I some birthday money that we usually used for a few dinners at Applebee's. For some reason we went a couple months without using it, so we decided to put it all together and splurge on one fancy dinner. It was good, but I'm not sure it was worth $180.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd rather have ribs at the original Dreamland than go to almost any steakhouse in the country.

I cannot for the life of me remember the place in Omaha that I went during the CWS back in 1997, but they had a filet that you could cut with a spoon.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

never more than $125, since i'm not a wine drinker. but as one who hasn't traveled in years, man, do i miss the occasional meals at any "ruth's chris." and just about anyplace in n'awlins, starting with pascal's manales for the barbequed shrimp... good times.

10. Mira

Mira Member

(Godd) wine with dinner is expensive, so huge tabs are not out of the question. Particularly in Europe or metropolitan cities. Though I have enjoyed Beringer White Zin at Olive Garden in my time.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

These days, I can't remember the last time that I went more than $60 per, although most places near me are BYO and I consider that to be a sunk cost.

I'm not a car guy, an electronics/gadgets guy or really much of a clothes guy. With the exception of soccer, I can't tell you the last time that i paid for a ticket to a sporting event. But I like good food and good wine, as do couples we know. So if I'm going to spend money on myself, it's probably going to be on a nice meal and/or some good red.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I have never, and the people I know have said the same, walked away from Ruth's Chris feeling like I got my money's worth. Small sample size, but it makes you wonder how they stay in business.

Draft saved Draft deleted