1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most exciting sporting event you've attended

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

As far as the thread title:

Watched: 1995, ALDS Game 5. I hated the outcome, but it was nuts.
    Covered: 2006 MLS Cup, Houston defeats New England on penalty kicks after an amazing overtime.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

May 20, 2006; Yankees 5, Mets 4 in 11 innings. This was probably the worst-played game by either defense I've ever seen in person -- seven errors in all (Yankees 4, Mets 3); the second play of the game, Jeter singled to left, and the ball rolled between Cliff Floyd's legs. I knew this was going to be a long one.

The Mets took a 4-0 lead into the ninth inning when Willie Randolph brought in Billy Wagner, who proceeded to shit all over himself, the mound and half of Flushing, N.Y. He gave up four runs on two hits, walked three all in a third of an inning. The Mets' pen got them out of the inning, but the Yankees scored in the top of the 11th to win it.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

This is the only one on this list where I said, "Wow." I fucking envy you for being there.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The Mets were the "Bad Guys" that year, according to Jeff Pearlman. I'd have paid good money to be there, too. Stupid parents not forking over the money to take their 3-year-old boy to watch his favorite team. ...

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Actually considered going to that game --- just to see the Big Unit pitch --- but punked out because it looked like it was going to rain. Watched it at home, cursing myself the whole time.

Did that once myself, too. Covered LSU at Ole Miss in Oxford (11:30 a.m. kickoff), then drove to Starkville for Alabama at Miss. State (8 p.m. kickoff). It was homecoming at Ole Miss to boot, so it took me an extra hour to get out of Oxford.

At the latter game, the guy parachuting in with the game ball came in too fast and broke both his legs, delaying kickoff about 15 minutes. I wouldn't have finished my gamer from the early game before kickoff without that extra time.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

That would've been my most exciting, but instead of being at The Big House, I was in a hospital room still glowing from the birth of my second daughter. I got to say it was a good day. 8)

7. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Game 5, 1994 Stanley Cup finals, Rangers should have closed out the Canucks to end the 54-year drought and fucked up. Never been in an arena quite as electric before a game. (I was pissed because I had followed the Rangers since I was a little kid, had vacation time, in town, got a ticket to the game....and had to be back at work a few states away by the time Game 7 rolled around. I should have called out sick for a week and stayed).

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Purely impulsive, on my part. Wasn't supposed to have that Tuesday off, but my SE called me on Monday and asked me to switch days with him and come in to work desk that night.

Had nothing to do on Tuesday, saw that Hampton was going against the Unit -- and I never miss a good pitching matchup if I can help it. So I dragged the ex out to the ballpark ... and THAT happened.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

The Georgia-Auburn game at Sanford Stadium three years ago was pretty incredible, but it didn't match the excitement of the semifinal game of the 1996 men's Olympic soccer tournament, when Nigeria came back to beat Brazil 4-3 in stoppage time.

10. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Last years Chargers vs Patriots game in San Diego and the last for Coach Marty.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

As a fan: MLS Cup 96 final.

A plucky D.C. United trailed 2-0 against the Los Angeles Galaxy in a driving rainstorm. At the half, a more experienced soccer fan told me not to worry, saying that D.C. United was getting the better of play in spite of the scoreline. As a then-novice, I didn't have much to go on but hope. United scored twice and looked for all the world as if they would win in regulation, but referee Esse Baharmast called both offside AND a handball in the box. And he was right on both. After 90 minutes, both teams were tied at 2. A few minutes into overtime, defender Eddie Pope skied for a header that gave United the most stirring comeback I'd ever seen in person (though that is a loose term because I had to take my glasses off with the rain making it impossible to see).

As a reporter covering the game: Maryland's victory over North Carolina in men's hoops last season. The Terps overcame a late 12-point deficit and shocked the No. 5 team in the nation in front of a delirious home crowd. When the game went final, students rushed the court in droves.

12. chester

chester Member

David Cone's perfect game against the Expos in 1999. Thank god Ricky Ledee didn't screw it up by almost dropping the fly ball in left in the ninth.

Draft saved Draft deleted