1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most exciting sporting event you've attended

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 29, 2008.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Softball game, Yellowstone National park, midsummer, with a cold beer and excellent atmosphere.

It wasn't exciting. But it was enjoyable.

2. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

1980 Olympics: Team USA-Russia.

I was 4 years old, and beneath the seats with my father (who was working with the State Police) so I don't remember seeing anything resembling hockey. But I remember the noise.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Screw Stormy, what about me? You bastard!

4. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

I'm jealous. How far up were you? With 93,173 people there, I can't imagine how hard it'd be to see the ring if you were very far back. LOL

Mine is Oct. 27, 2002: Game 7 of the World Series (Angels vs. Giants). As a lifelong Angels fan, it gets no better.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Both as fans, both involving my team losing. One I was happy to witness, one was devastating:

1. Game 4, 1996 World Series. My dad and I snuck down to the box seats behind the 3B dugout in the 7th inning. We saw Leyritz's homer from up close, and thought for sure that Andruw was going to snag it in left field. Later, had a direct vantage point as Klesko lose a 10-foot-high pop-up in the "lights" at first base in the 10th, opening the floodgates for the Yankees.

2. May 18, 2004. Randy Johnson 27, Braves 0. One of those "are-you-fucking-kidding-me" moments that still hasn't gone away. Amazing.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Two college football themed events:

One year, I did three games, in three stadiums in 14 days featuring four top 25 teams. (2005)

U-M/MSU: Michigan comes back from 21 down (or so) to beat MSU in 3OT. Braylon gets three TDS.

One week later:

Tennesee vs. ND. First time seeing Neyland. Pretty cool. Clausen seperates shoulder after fumbling a QB kneel. No lie. Too bad I still hate ND and they won.

One week later:

MSU defeats No. 5 Wisconsin 49-14. Sick crowd.

honorable mentions:
    2005 final four
    2003-MICHIGAN OHIO STATE- 100TH GAME. MICH wins 35-21... that was insane.

I also did two college games in one day once.

Michigan 28, Wisconsin 14 (2006) and
    ND beats MSU in a downpoor in Spartan Stadium. Whattta game.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Two games I attended stick out in my mind...

1) 1986, Game 6 of the NLCS between the Astros and the Mets. Billy Hatcher hit a game-tying homer in extra innings, but the Mets beat the good guys in the 16th frame. :(

2) 1997, Game 1 of the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs, the Canadiens at the Devils. The tickets were my birthday present and Martin Brodeur scored a goal.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Oh yeah I was at that STUPID F'ING TRAIN WRECK this year when a certain 1-aa team blocked a friggin field goal and won over a Big Ten team

Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

im starting a worst sporting event I attended thread

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Press box.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm hoping next week's is just as good as I am driving 10 hours on Wednesday to see it and 10 hours back on Thursday so as not to miss to much work.

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

- Last game of 2001 season or was it 2000...NFC East title on the line...Eagles vs Giants at the Vet...Eagles score and on the ensuing drive, Giants come within eight yards of scoring in the end zone where I was.

Draft saved Draft deleted