1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most ESPN Zone Sports Bars to Close

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I guess I shouldn't mention that five years ago when haircuts at my place jumped fro $7 to $8 I figured that was too much for a haircut. I went and bought a set of clippers. My wife's been cutting it on the front porch ever since. Clippers paid for themselves in three uses!

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Been to a couple while traveling a number of years ago. Not bad. Not radically different than other sports bars I've been to.

I mean, seriously, you've a boat load of TVs and satellite dishes, a decent (albeit somewhat overpriced) menu and a bar serving all sorts of drinks. And, of course, restrooms. Nothing revolutionary about that. I'm sure we won't have a shortage of sports bars anytime soon.

3. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Perfect location for LeBron's restaurant when he signs with the Bulls next month. :)

With the Times Square location closing where will Luppy, Albom and John Saunders now go to tape their rip-off of the Sportswriters on TV program?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Great news: The Times Square location will become a Disney Store.
    Just what we freaking need... more Disney crap in Times Square.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

No, I never expect greatness. But I don't want it tasting as though it came out of a vending machine.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's not fair at all. It tastes like it came out of a microwave oven.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

ESPNZone looks like Cordon Bleu food served in the Guggenheim when you stand it next to a Buffalo Wild Wings (and Wicks?).

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Please. Don't. Get. Me. Started.

9. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

There are certain chains that I don't find terrible per se, but, for the life of me, I'll never understand how they got to be so successful. Buffalo Wild Wings is one of them. There are three locations in my area, and they're all usually very busy. The wings don't out and out suck, but there are tons of wings I've had that are much better. The beer isn't priced all that great. Service usually ranges from bad to decent. Never great.

There had to have been some point before BWW was a national chain with large resources. WTH made it so successful that the place was able to expand and franchise?

Another example, but in the fast food industry, is the regional chicken chain "Zaxby's" that is found throughout the southeast.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

BWW sucks. Their wings are blah, and you're taking a 50-50 chance that they'll be undercooked. No, I don't want my chicken medium rare, assholes. And who the hell charges for ranch/bleu cheese with wings? And celery? That shit is supposed to come with the wings. Those aren't extras. I pretty much refuse to go there any more.

Service is terrible 70 percent of the time. Beers are overpriced. Good TV setup. That's all it's got going for it.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I love me some BW3. Never had a problem with the wings and never had a problem with the beer prices. Compared to what I pay now for beers, it's a hell of a bargain at BW3. I dig the mini corndogs, too. Plus, it's always fun (or not) to get hammered and challenge a buddy to see how many Blazin' wings you can eat before throwing up or passing out.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Their sauces suck. Sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree on this.

Draft saved Draft deleted