1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most emotionally charged sporting event

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Sep 26, 2006.

1. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

OK, that seems to add up.

But make no mistake... People definitely knew what was going down before Modell's official announcement and they weren't exactly civil at Oilers game. Ugly scene. I think some of the in-stadium advertising had already been taken down/turned upside down and backwards/covered over too (I specifically remember this being the case with the ad boards in the concourses). The advertising was pretty much all gone by the end of the year.

Talking about the Browns in 1995 leads to another game that year... I wasn't at the last home game, which was against the Bengals, but I definitely remember seeing on the news how people were basically taking everything in the stadium that wasn't nailed down. Hell, they even took some stuff that WAS nailed down. Some season ticket holders brought tool boxes and disassembled their seats from their moorings after the game was over and took them. Emotional stuff by the Dawg Pound with some of the players sticking around after the game too.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

They did. The players stuck around on the field for an hour and a half after that game -- a Browns win. Earnest Byner would have hung out there longer if he could have. They took pieces of the auxiliary scoreboards and everything.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Just as long as the Rocket was dropping something other than the Stanley Cup (sorry, Habs fans, I couldn't resist).

And what's Piestany's pub date, btw? Think I read in the G&M that it's sometime in November, is that right?

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I coulda sworn it was Yankees-Red Sox, every time they play. If you don't believe me, just ask the WWL.

5. bocksheesh

bocksheesh New Member

4th Quarter, Game 7, LA Lakers-Portland Trail Blazers.

The fledgling Lakers dynasty was on the ropes, they were being outplayed by the Blazers in LA, and then the collapse began.

Brian Shaw, the type of player that would only be good on a team like the Lakers, banked in an ugly halfcourt 3-pointer, cutting the lead from 16 points to 13 points, the Blazers came out and went ice cold, and next thing you know, Shaq is doing the chicken dance down the court after a thunderous ally-oop from Kobe.

The good old days for LA. The beginning of a franchise implosion for Portland. All in the span of 12 minutes.

6. I was at the Browns-Bengals game.

I drove out from Central Jersey to pay my respects to the Dawg Pound one last time. The atmosphere there was insane, a mix of anger and despair. The stadium looked abandoned from the start, and then everyone started looting. Class move by a lot of the players sticking around afterward. I remember talking to Tony Jones, who was just shaking his head.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

11 years removed from that moment there isn't much to say. Those Browns are gone. The professional sports stadium I grew up in is gone. Oddly that's what life is like in Northeast Ohio anymore.

It's like you live in a museum dedicated to a civlization which will never again rise from its ashes.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I thought the last game at Tiger Stadium was pretty charged -- place rocked when Robert Fick hit the last home -- a grand slam to right

Draft saved Draft deleted