1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most emotionally charged sporting event

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Sep 26, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Lehigh vs. Lafayette football. Most any ol' year.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Never been to one but my brother has and said it has no equal on this side of the pond: Celtic vs. Rangers

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Ever thought of doing a book? Seriously.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I'd buy it. NoOne, you should copy and paste that post, stick a byline atop it and put it in the paper. Great read.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Bartman did the same think Jeffrey Maier did, but Bartman gets scorn and Maier is a hero for the mouth breathers.

I'm convinced that if Bartman hadn't been wearing headphones he would have been more aware of things and might not have reached over for that ball. Maybe not.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Green Bay at Cleveland, Sometime in 1995

Bought advance tickets before the season and it turned out it was the first game at Cleveland Stadium after Art Modell announced that the Browns were leaving.

All of the advertising signs were blacked out, most Browns fans (the ones who showed up anyway) carried protest signs and paid little attention to the game, there were numerous protests outside the stadium. I still have a placard police were handing out to fans from Mayor Mike White, urging them to remain peaceful in their protests.

It was surreal, emotionally-charged, and sad all at once. I'll never forget walking out of Cleveland Stadium for the last time, knowing for sure that I'd never be back. It was a dump, but it was the funnest place I ever watched football as a fan (never been to Lambeau as a fan), especially my couple of trips into the Dawg Pound, and despite its reputation, it was underrated as a baseball venue.

I'm not a Browns fan, but their fans are the most similar to Packer fans I've come across, and I've always respected that -- even though they're more paranoid and angst-ridden! My enmity for Modell can't be as intense as a true Browns fan is, but I can't stand what he did to those fans nonetheless.

On the other hand, as a Packer fan, there were plenty of choice seats to steal that day!

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

-- Super Bowl XXV was one of the greatest nights in NFL history.
    -- Rocker's return to Shea in 2000

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr J,

I worked that game at MSG -- it would rank up there.

The last game at the Forum in Montreal there -- effectively, Maurice Richard was dropping into his own wake. (When he died a few years later, they should have re-opened the Forum rather than have people pay respects at the Molson Centre.)

I'd love to say that Canada vs USSR world junior hockey in 1987 would be up there -- but that's self-promotion.

YHS, etc

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The men's Gold Medal hockey game in SLC.

10. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

That wasn't the first game after the announcement. The Packers game was a few weeks after. The Browns actually played the Oilers in the weekend following Modell's announcement, and if you can believe it, the atmosphere was even more crazy. I was there.

I can recall hearing on the radio on my way to the game that there had been bomb threats at the stadium. Between that and the pure venom in the stands that day - banners, chants and especially the belligerent screaming - it's the one time in my life I can say I was actually somewhat scared to be at a sporting event. Just a frightening situation.

I was supposed to be at the bottle-throwing game about four or five years ago, but had my work schedule switched. My dad still went to the game and said when the bottles started flying, he had to go running for cover... And his seats were in the upper deck.

11. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

You could, if not for "fucking raped" appearing in the first graf.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You're a little off, Tino, but not horribly so.

The Browns played the Oilers at home on Nov. 5, 1995. Art Modell announced the move on Nov. 6, the first home game after that was against the Packers on Nov. 19.

If memory serves, it was being reported the weekend of that Oilers game that Modell was going to announce a possible move, so it was definitely in the air for that game, but it was official for that Packers game.

Draft saved Draft deleted