1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

most distinct regional dialect

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Sep 12, 2006.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

My sister married an Australian and moved Down Under in 1988. After she'd been there about a year, her accent was a weird mix of West Texas and Olivia Newton-John.

When she and her husband visited the States in the early '90s, I met them at DFW and we all went out to dinner with one of her old sorority sisters from Texas Tech. At the airport, her Aussie accent was thicker than ever (my brother-in-law's name, Trevor, came out Treva).

Two hours later, after some Tex-Mex, a couple of margaritas and Patsy Cline on the restaurant's sound system, it was like she'd never left home. "Treverrr, we'd better git over to the Hoe-Tell."

Weird.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

A former boss had moved around a lot, so he had no accent but had a 4-yr-old who had been mostly raised in the South. We had so much fun making that kid say "hotel" and "drawer".

I never knew a damn thing about the sport with the puck until I got to the Midwest, so it became "hah-kee".

Whenever I spend too much time in the borderland, I pick up some cholo-ese.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Zeke and Dixiehack, you are both SO grounded!!!

Zeke, you can't say that Minnesotans sound like the characters in Fargo based on a chant by Gopher fans after scoring points. That's just crazy. Any crowd chant is extraordinarily exaggerated.

You can't go by the movie Fargo for anything Minnesota-related. Fargo isn't even in Minnesota, duh!

Besides, any good Minnesotan knows you don't dispose of a body by wrecking a perfectly good woodchipper.

You toss it out in a secluded swamp out back! ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted