1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

most distinct regional dialect

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Sep 12, 2006.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I've spent my fair share of time around Cleveland. Never have I heard anyone pronounce anything close to that.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I went to college with a couple of smoking hot chicks (that's what we called them way back then) from Cincinnati who had that exact accent. It's a pretty effective form of birth control. OK, I would have hit it anyway (never got opportunity to find out, damn it) but I would have had to think twice about it. And spending the rest of my life with that accent? No thanks. Thankfully, I somehow managed to land a nice Southern belle.

3. My best friend in college (Southern WV) came down from NYC.
    Girls loved the accent and he got laid like Fabio on Amazon Isle!
    I spent a few weeks in NYC with my southern twang and fared rather well. Hooked up with a couple of nice chicks who thought my accent was unique.
    Chicks dig different.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Does anybody else's accent change depending on location, or the people you're around? I live in Alabama, and speak mostly with what would considered a standard Southern accent. But whenever I go to my parents' house in Tennessee, especially for more than a couple of days, I find myself slipping back into mountain twang. And it's not like I get it from my parents, who have consciously worked not to talk that way.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Your accent can definitely change dependent on your location. No question.

But I lived most of my childhood in Georgia -- not the first 7 years -- and I only have a strong accent on certain words (or so I've been told.) That's because of a conscious choice, though.

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Okay, let's get something straight.

Minnesotans do not, I repeat -- DO NOT -- speak like those cartoon characters in the movie Fargo.

Maybe five or six Finlander old-timers in Northeastern Minnesota, but that would be it.

And just to clear up another common misconception about that movie -- it was not based on a real incident. The Coen brothers made that up. [/rant over]

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Rosie, I hate to be the one to say it, but I call bullshit.

Plenty of people speak like that in Minnesota. Not that comically exaggerated, but just listen to the crowd when the Gophers score a goal.

Mini-SODA, Mini-SODA, heeeeeeeyyy GOOOOphers!

It's OK. It's part of the charm.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You got some Arby's on your chin there chief. [/i'msogrounded]

9. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Yep, I've got Yinzer-ish roots and worked for two years in the Deep South, so somehow I involuntarily picked up the y'all. Not only that, but I sometimes vacillate between "yinz" and "y'all," occasionally in the same sentence. And, I'll even work in a "you's guys," but only because I've seen too many movies featuring Jay and Silent Bob.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I was born in Charleston, W. Va., but moved to Chicago when I was two and was raised there. Whenever I go back to visit family in near Charleston, I get the accent back after a week or so. But I've been living in the border South for the past five months and have no trace of an accent. It's weird.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

South Philly

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yeah, everything they say there sounds like this: BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Even when they're cheering.

Draft saved Draft deleted