1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

most distinct regional dialect

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Sep 12, 2006.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

There's nothin in Missouri either, unless you're in the bootheel and that's REALLY southern. I heard more accents visiting a friend there than I did living in Arkansas.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

Come on, didn't you see Raising Arizona? ``Turn to yer rat!''

Yes, love the Mondee, Tuesdee thing. Actually, Friday often comes out more like FRA-dee then FRY-dee.

And I love the way tournament becomes TOON-amint and coach sounds something like ``corch.''

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

"So the two yutes ..."
    "What did you say?"
    "What?"
    "Did you say 'utes'?"
    "Excuse me your honor. YEWTHHHS."

4. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

When I'm traveling for work around the country, 99% of the people I converse with immediately say...."Boston".

Sadly, I do presentations for my job....and I often try to pronounce my "R's".

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Ya, shure, you betcha! For stupid! For cool! I'd link North Dakota and Minnesota for sure, since they are at least half of Scandanavian ancestry. Western ND, SD, Montana less so, more of German/Czech/Bohemian/Ukrainian backgrounds.

Western New York has a very distinct accent, very hard A's., sounds like carh, haackey, etc. Sort of like Chicago.

I'd say the West Coast has the fewest regional accents, because it's a mix of so people from so many regions. You read the obits of any West Coast paper and it seems that 3/4 of those 60 years or more are transplants, who came out west during the Depression or after WWII.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yep. Just like there's a difference between them Yinzers in Pittsburgh and, say, Philly.

7. There's also a difference between the Wisconsin and Minnesota accents. Wisconsin-speak sounds a lot less like the people in "Fargo." I think the German influence cuts it somewhat.

8. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Don't forget about Baltimore, or, as many of the locals say it, "Bawl-mer."

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Speaking of cousins, New Orleans and New York accents aren't far apart.

Texas, of course, has a twang that's different from other Southern states and words (like "tank" for "pond") that I never had known existed.

And I love blond Swedish girls from Soath Dakooooota.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

My god. That took me back home for a minute. I don't have that accent, but it pervades all my memories of growing up there.

Good work, JK. :)

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

To me, the Minnesota accent and the Dakotas one sound the exact same. I just picture Frances McDormand saying it.

12. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Yeah, but how did their accent land you?

I lived in Cleveland 25 years and about six months after I left I went back realized that 50 percent of the guys and 99 percent of the women have the most annoying accent ever. (No reflection on the town, which I will always love dearly, but lord...)

What do Clevelanders put their groceries in?
    A beeyag.

Where does it hurt?
    My upper beeyack

How was the movie?
    Not beeyad.

And so forth.

Draft saved Draft deleted