1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

most distinct regional dialect

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Cajun is certainly unique, but that accent doesn't seem quite as pervasive in New Orleans as the accent is among New Englanders.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

You talk about, says the son of a man who grew up in New Iberia.

3. Johnny Dangerously

There is nothing Cajun about New Orleans, except what you see in the tourist traps (and in a few well-intentioned but misguided movies).

Whole different world of accents in the Crescent City. Can I get a witness, FB?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

OK. Then if we are talking Cajun and mean Lafayette/New Iberia -- I'll go with that. Pretty small area, though.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Well, the Cajun dialect is sprinkled from the Lake Charles area on south, down along the coast and around Lafayette/New Iberia, still further south and east over toward Thibodaux/Houma and in the Cutoff area, down to the mouth of the Mississippi. You can find it scattered throughout the state, but its concentration areas are Acadiana and the bayou parishes. Despite LSU's use of the word "geaux," Baton Rouge is not Cajun. Neither is New Orleans, as I've said. And, sadly, Cajun is dying. CODOFIL teaches real French in Louisiana schools. The Cajun dialect is fading ...

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Population-wise, but square miles that area is bigger than Bahstan or Noo Yawk.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I think the Chicago accent is pretty distinct. It's infectious, too. I've been to Chicago several times and everytime I'd come home, I'd end up talking like I had lived there for my entire life.

I'm from the mid-south, so I'd get made fun of pretty hard core until I'd slip back into a little bit of the twang again.

8. Johnny Dangerously

The right Southern twang from the right Southern girl is irresistible.

9. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

That's what I hear. The last time I left the south and went north, I went back and the twang never REALLY manifested itself as it had before. I think I was more concious of it this time so I was trying to avoid it.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Crunk. YEAH! WHAT? OKAY!

[​IMG]

11. Johnny Dangerously

I know a girl from Atlanta who now lives in the Northeast. She's got some kind of cross-regional voice that is interesting and adorable, and every now and then I detect the slightest hint of Georgia peach in her words, and it's so cute. :D

12. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

The right Southern twang also proved irresistable to a couple of Northeast Ohio lovelies (is that an oxymoron?) when PD spent a week in the Brunswick/Strongsville area during college. 'Cause Lord knows an accent was about all I had going for me in those days.

Draft saved Draft deleted