1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most Controversial Music Video Ever?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jul 20, 2008.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

"Gettin Jiggy With It" was a little to overt for me, Jiggy sounds like a slang term for masturbation

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Incredibly disturbing, but not seen by enough people to qualify as controversial: The video for Metallica's version of "Turn the Page." Features Ginger Lynn (?) playing a prostitute who had to take her 9- or 10-year-old daughter to work with her. Brutal imagery, and probably not too far off the reality of some situations.

3. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Saw some sort of program about the LAP video on a flight somewhere. Can't remember specifics, but I believe they burned the crosses on set, obviously, but there was a town (I could be completely fucking up the storyline, but I believe the town was predominantly black, too) across the river that didn't know it was for a music video and were, rightfully so, really super-pissed off.

Just adds *another* layer of controversy to the video.

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

And Summertime was tacit approval of popping water plugs, which is not something you do -- even for old times' sake.

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

That made me laugh way harder than I should have. And definitely don't drive 2 miles an hour, not even so everyone can see you

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

"Closer" was pretty strange, but what really stuck with me was the end of "Hurt," with the time-lapse photography of the dead dog decomposing.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

"Girls on Film" by Duran Duran was banned at some point and then I think they started only showing it after 9 p.m.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'She's a Beauty' by the Tubes was controversial for being awesome.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'm actually surprised that this video didn't cause more of a stir than it did. Marilyn Manson basically reinacts, vividly, the JFK assassination and no one seems to notice because A.) the song sucks and B.) it was only the fourth most f-ed up thing he'd done that year.

(Moderately NSFW)

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

What about the trio of videos that GNR did with Don't Cry, November Rain and Estranged,

11. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Baby Got Back, anyone?

Oh...My...God...Becky...

12. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

I seem to remember George Michael's "Freedom" video drawing some ire. Wasn't that the one with Cindy Crawford in a bathtub?

Draft saved Draft deleted