1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most boring sport to cover

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Nov 8, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Then you have not seen GOOD field hockey.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Fortunately, I haven't had to cover a lot of fringe sports, though the local high school just added bowling. Can't think of anything I'd rather cover less than bowling.

For what I've covered, I hate rodeo. But if I ever was assigned to cover either hunting or poker, I would shoot myself, because neither is a sport.

That said, high school wrestling bores me to tears. If they would switch to submission style, now that I would cover.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

1. Baseball (LOVE it, just not at the prep level...too damn long)
    2. Soccer
    3. Cross Country
    4. Bad girls softball
    5. Wrestling (Just not my cup of tea -- the singlets don't help)

Glad we don't have tennis and swimming around here...

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

High school swimming, no question. Nothing's easier, but it's long and boring, there's nowhere comfortable to watch and it's hot as balls typically. I did a hs gymnastics meet once. I felt like a predator and the girls were a little out of sorts being interviewed my a guy. There's a reason a middle-aged woman typically does it at said paper.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Yup.

Covered a girls game in the dead of January that was 4-2 at halftime -- pretty much sealed it for me.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Wrestling dual meets aren't that bad. It's those damn day long tournaments where you have six mats going at once that get boring.

7. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

This is a really good point about swimming that I forgot to mention previously, about why I put high school swimming at the top of my list.

What the hell do you, or the swimmer, write about a race? You can't tell what they're doing under the water and, even if you could, what would it be? They jumped in the pool, and one of them finished first. That's about it, as far as I can tell. Unless there are two really good swimmers who have a heated duel the entire way, there's just not much to say.

You could say much the same thing about high school track, but I think track meets are great places for mining stories. That's why I like those. It's way too loud, hot, wet and crowded at a swim meet to put much of anything together.

8. WSKY

WSKY Member

High school girls hoops in most western states — thanks god I'll won't ever have to do it ever again at my current job.

Draft saved Draft deleted