1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most boring sport to cover

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I stand corrected. I knew it wasn't cow cutting, though. Good catch.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yep, I mentioned it a little before. Probably on page 2. But yea, it was pretty bad. Luckily, it usually only got covered once during the regular season and the state finals if they made it.

3. sartrean

sartrean Member

Man, you said it, brother.

There are no discernible plays. Its run around while three guys on one team do everything, and two or three guys do everything on the other team.

The girls are worse.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hey, what I saw, the goofballs doing it called it cow cutting. I guess they were as clueless about their own competition as I was.

Then again, what I really called it was a ridiculous waste of time.

5. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I'm with BYH, although I understand higher level field hockey on astroturf is a much faster and better game. On an uneven field with high school girls though, it can be really slow, it usually is low scoring, and the whistles are plentiful.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

As I clarified later, it's not the worst thing to cover, but it ain't great either.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You notice that every time somebody mentions field hockey as being the worst to cover, it comes with the allowance: "As far as I can tell," or "Why don't they do this..."

Field hockey was a bore for me when I covered it. This year, one of my oldest friends has a daughter who's becoming one of the top prospects on the East coast as a junior, and I've hit a couple of her games.

When you see GOOD field hockey, and when you start to understand what makes an outstanding player and what makes an average player, and when you pick up just enough of the rules to understand 57 percent of the whistles, it's actually a pretty interesting sport. AND ... field hockey on artificial turf is a completely different game from field hockey on grass. Field hockey on turf is more like ice hockey, with the sharp passing and stops.

[/endofrant]

The worst? High school swimming. No ifs, ands or buts. Come in out of 20-degree weather outside into a natatorium that's heated around 85 degrees ... the parents are the WORST ... and how many different things can a swimmer SAY about a race?

8. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

How bout a 49-3 first-round playoff game tonight.

I gave up on taking notes just after halftime and just tracked stats and the scoring plays the rest of the way.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

My definition of field hockey...

You take ice hockey... take out the great speed, take out the body checks against the boards, take out the backhand passes, take out the booming slap shots, take out the joy...

what you are left with is field hockey.

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

As far as cutting horse competitions go, don't ever go to work for Morris Communications. Billy Morris is into it BIG TIME and hosts one of the major events in Augusta.

I probably wouldn't have mided so much had the EE of the Morris paper I spent five years at not also been unnaturally enamored of this "sport."

When she found out I'd majored in agriculture and knew which end of the horse you put the bridle on, I immediately became the staff member she called whenever she wanted to get coverage for an event.

There are other reasons I don't miss that place, but that's a big one.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bad girls basketball, played poorly.

12. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

I had to cover a polo match (game? whatever?) once.

That sucked.

Draft saved Draft deleted