1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most boring sport to cover

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Nov 8, 2006.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's almost a whole other category...wierd shit that you can't believe your sports section covers. Ever heard of cow cutting? (And no, it does not have anything to do with making hamburgers)

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

The problem with cross country is that you have to wait for the good races.

If you go to a small school meet, you have to sit through modified and junior varsity races.

Swimming isn't that bad if you're covering a good meet between two closely-matched teams.

The worst thing to cover is a district swim meet -- especially when you don't have anyone in the five heats of the 500 free.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Never seen field hockey, but it's got a long way to go to overtake soccer in this competition.

4. statrat

statrat Member

Tennis and Volleyball

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Yes, actually I have (and to nit-pick, it's called cattle cutting), and no I haven't had to cover it, thank God. Probably the weirdest fucking thing I've ever had to cover is a sport called Bunnuck – or bones. It is kind of like bowling, excpet really complicated and instead of using a ball you get to use – get this – horse ankle bones. I shit you not. Great game if you have a beer in hand, sort of I guess, but to sit and cover it ... my lord.

Also have had to cover lawn bowling tournaments and floor curling games when various senior games have been in town. Anyone ever shoot a bridge tournament? I have.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

-Poorly played girls basketball...ughh...
    -High school baseball in Ohio during March...boring, cold and wet.
    -I love the sport of soccer, but a lot of times at the high school level it mostly doesn't resemble anything worth watching.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I covered the World Cup in 1994 as a freelancer and it was incredibly exciting and I am definitely not a soccer fan...

Baseball, could be exciting at times, but about half the games were mind-numbing. NBA, NHL and NFL are almost never boring.

I find NASCAR boring, just because I don't give half a shit...

8. Field hockey. Worst sport ever. As far as I can tell the rules were designed with the goal of making every game a 0-0 tie.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

March? Hell, it could be just as bad in June some years. Well, not boring, but pretty cold.

You couldn't just get the names and places from the scoresheet when you got there at night?

I've covered a few state swimming meets. Here, it's usually prelims the first day and the finals are the next day. I've never covered a prelims (usually too much else going on).
    I'm sure the prelims wouldn't be prevalent in your story, put them in agate and be done with it.

10. Actually it is called Cutting Horse Competition, and it is a beautfiul combination of athletic horses and riders, working togehter in a timed event. Like any sport, the higher the level of competition the keener the event, but when you enjoy watching the beauty of the animal and the instincts to herd cattle it is pretty impressive.

11. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

1. Swimming
    2. Water polo
    3. Golf
    4. Tennis
    5. Poorly-played girls soccer
    6. Pool
    7. Poorly-played girls basketball
    8. Lacrosse
    9. Hockey
    10. Bad High School Football (Fairfax HS vs Dorsey)

12. I can't believe I didn't see this one yet. High school synchronized swimming. It wasn't an official high school sport, but five high schools in the state had it, and the best two were from my coverage area.

You guys who hate cross country are just haters and you're lazy. What's the matter? Don't like walking around a little? I've never done this, but try asking the guy/chick who drives the golf cart in front of the leader if you can ride with him/her.

Draft saved Draft deleted