1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most boring sport to cover

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Nov 8, 2006.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow, two mentions of high school baseball. I wouldn't say it is the most boring, but bad high school baseball sucks to watch, especially when neither pitcher can FIND THE FUCKING PLATE!

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Same thing with bad high school softball (for those that said softball wasn't boring to cover).

Even good softball can be boring. Strikeout, strikeout, groundout. Or strikeout, groundout, popout.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

HS baseball sucks when both teams have a combined 4 wins and a gazillion losses in the last few years, and their pitchers walk about 10 batters a game (yes, there is a team in my area that's almost as bad as that, but not quite). I once covered a game like that (only the walks weren't as high) that took nearly 4 hours to complete. The team I covered had 3 wins coming into that game and the opposing team had 2. That wasn't a fun day.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Ahem ... abso-fucking-lutely.

5. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

College swimming, at least if you cover a top program, is great. You might see NCAA or American records broken and a lot of the participants will be headed to the Olympics.

I loathe volleyball at all levels, but you will see some tall hotties in college.

Cross country is the most boring because you see the start and the finish and that's about it.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

But at least it's fast, at least as long as it doesn't go to extra innings. Once a softball game goes to extras, you could be in for a VERY long day.

7. High school track can be pretty excruciating, if it's being run by someone clueless. Those things can take all day.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I'd say marching band.

Mainly because no objective score is kept and the judging system seems subjective and difficult to quantify, especially to one who has very little background in or understanding of music.

But, damn it, those kids work as hard as anyone else on the field. And they deserve to be in the paper!

... Or, maybe cheerleading.

9. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

The only thing more boring than track is field.

10. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

I had fun covering softball at a previous gig. The private school in town was a powerhouse, won something like 15 straight conference championships. On top of that, two of the girls (pitcher and catcher) went on to play D-I.

Best game I ever covered was a 13-inning 1-0 section final. That catcher hit a bomb on the first pitch in the bottom of the 13th to end it. Good times.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

1. High school tennis
    2. High school tennis
    3. High school tennis
    4. High school tennis
    5. High school tennis

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Soccer, field hockey, women's lacrosse and bad girls basketball.

Draft saved Draft deleted