1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most bitchy, angst-ridden sports fans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Sep 5, 2006.

?

Which fans whine the most when a team or teams is in the tank?

1. Boston fans

14 vote(s)
    21.5%
  2. Philly fans

20 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. NYC fans

8 vote(s)
    12.3%
  4. Cleveland fans

9 vote(s)
    13.8%
  5. Chicago fans

10 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. Other

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Pittsburgh has great football fans. Lousy baseball fans. And it's not just the Pirates being bad. They still cared a lot more about the Steelers back when the Pirates made the NLCS three straight seasons in the early 90s.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't necessarily call them the great. Having been born and raised in Pittsburgh I think the only difference between Steelers fans and Eagles fans is that Steelers fans are more pleasant because they've had on-field success with five Super Bowl titles and a ton of division titles and playoff appearances.

But when things go wrong, look out. Remember, this is a group of people that CHEERED when Terry Bradshaw was carried off the turf at Three Rivers Stadium AFTER he won them four Super Bowls. Imagine Green Bay fans cheering Brett Favre getting injured.

This is also the group of people that fell in love with Kordell "Slash" Stewart in 1997, only to start rumors of him being gay two years later. EVery friggin Yinzer knowza guy, whoze gotta brutter, whoze gotta cousin whoze uhh Picksburgh cop who sez Koredewl was caught dahn nere Schenley Park where allda fags hang out 'n at.

Give Steelers fans three straight 4-12 seasons and they'll be Eagles fans in gold.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Were you there when the sucked in the 80s? Packed stadiums and the fans still lived and died with the team.

Never said they won't turn on an individual player. But they don't turn on the team and they show up win or lose. I say they because I would never boo Terry Bradshaw and I never liked Kordell Stewart in the first place, so I was being consistent when I turned on him.

And as for the rumors about his sexuality, well, that's not a fan thing. That's a matter of a rumor getting started in a city that can be a bit backwards and intolerant.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Bite me. ;)

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I've spoken with Philly historians before about its very palpable sense of hostility. There's a legacy going all the way back to occupation by the British during the Revolution, once being a breeding ground for mosquito larvae and hence yellow fever, losing preeminence by having the capitol taken away and generally being an afterthought as compared with the American Rome (New York) and its Athens (Boston).

Plus that river is filthy as shit.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

But the river is Jersey's river. :D

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I think he's talking about the Schuylkill, and yes, they are both filthy as Michael Richards' mouth on MLK Day. But can anyone think of a more feared stadium section than the infamous "700 Level," other than the Yankee Stadium RF bleachers? I'm surprised it wasn't renamed the 666 level.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Boathouse Row is quite lovely, though.

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Without a doubt, especially this time of year. But if you put a pretty little bow on the rotting carcass of a dog, does that make it cute?

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

All U of Kentucky fans (not just basketball) deserve an opportunity to receive votes in this poll. Big Blue Nation would win pulling away.

11. Herbert Anchovy

It is a scumsucking petri dish to be sure, but no filthier than the Passaic or Ohio.

12. At the risk of offending the Pittsburgh faithful, I respectfully disagree with the sentiment that Steeler fans were unfailingly steadfast and loyal during their lean years. While the games may be have "sold out" on paper, almost a quarter of the fans regularly dressed as empty seats.

A sizable segment of the local fanbase campaigned to run Chuck Noll out of town in 1991. I was there for his last game. When the scoreboard showed a "Happy Holidays" message to all Steeler fans from Noll and his wife, the crowds' response was more "Get lost, loser!" than "Hey, thanks for those four trophies."

The idea that Steeler fans stick with the team through thick & thin is a myth.

Draft saved Draft deleted