1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most bitchy, angst-ridden sports fans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Sep 5, 2006.

?

Which fans whine the most when a team or teams is in the tank?

1. Boston fans

14 vote(s)
    21.5%
  2. Philly fans

20 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. NYC fans

8 vote(s)
    12.3%
  4. Cleveland fans

9 vote(s)
    13.8%
  5. Chicago fans

10 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. Other

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

:) :D ;D

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

A baby Philadelphia sports fan's first words are, in order: Mommy, Daddy and you fucking suck.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I can't speak for the cities in the poll, but I've experienced a lot more of Mizzou's sample. No joke ... awful.

And let me add a write-in vote for Kentucky basketball fans. Unbelievably arrogant and insufferable bunch you will not meet.

I have to lay off some of the NY fans ... since I was one of the few at a recent game involving the Giants and they didn't give me any grief. Of course, some of that may have been because one mental giant decided to wear a Tony Romo jersey (sorry, Carrie!).

4. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

My underrated choice for angst would be Buffalo. Four straight Super Bowl losses and the Brett Hull crease incident seem to have shaken up anyone I've ever met from there. I don't think it tops Cleveland, but it is worthy of consideration in this discussion.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

This thread seems to be about pro fans...but I would also like to chime in that based on my personal experience, hardcore Kentucky basketball fans are often a noxious breed.

I was referring to the bandwagon aspect when I referred to Dallas fans as fickle. I'm from that area, and I've always been amazed. When a team is losing, they're on no one's radar screen. Try finding a Mavs fan in Dallas back during the early 90s. Yes, the Mavs, Stars, Cowboys and Rangers have all had their moment in the spotlight, only to be shuffled offstage as soon as they start to suck.

6. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Well said.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

As many here have very well stated, Philly fans are without compare to anything I've encountered anywhere throughout the country. The story about someone getting "F'd up like B-Dawk did" rings very true. The thing is, Philly fans don't need to be drunk to be like this; they're ALWAYS like this. I've never encountered such gleefully belligerent, constantly-looking-for-any-sign-of-supposed-disrespect-so-we-can-start-a-brawl people anywhere.

As a group, they're pitiful people, and I don't mean that as a snobbish putdown. Living in NE PA right now, I've seen some of the most run-down towns, depressed-wage conditions, and truly sad human stories that I can remember seeing anywhere in this country. It's sad. Where I'm at currently, health care is very substandard, and you can see the effects on the general populace. It's just wrong, in a social injustice sense.

And it seems that all that righteous anger and bitterness goes towards hating rivals of Philly teams, fans of rival teams, unsuspecting denizens of the North Pole, career-endingly injured rival wide receivers, hall-of-fame third basemen, etc. Whoever said Philly teams' players fear their own fans is dead on. I have never been involved in so many near-brawls as I have up here just watching Sunday ticket at nondescript local bars. There's just nothing to compare it with.

The thing that seems the most near match to Philly fans are Euro soccer hooligans, hardcore ones. Remember, Philly has the court in the bottom of the Linc (did they carry it over from the Vet, I think they did?). You don't build courthouses you don't need, you know?

The Philly fans truly have to be experienced to be believed. They are a breed apart.

8. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

Ah. Cool then. I read fickle as meaning more along the lines of "fans only like particular types of winning teams and it changes based on their mood."

Heh. Mavs fans in the 1990s. All three of them.

9. writing irish

Four. You forgot Tarpley's drug dealer. :)

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I agree there. My uncle (a UL fan who lives outof town) says the only thing worse thana UK is a Yankee fan.

Unless they win by 20, they're never happy. UK has won 4 straight and fans are freaking out because they haven't won by enough. And the arrogance of the fans is pretty irritating.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

They got rid of the courtroom when they moved to the Linc.

12. writing irish

I was hate-spammed by UK fans for weeks after I wrote something "bad" about Saint Rupp. This was when I was SE of a friggin' weekly in West Texas. They found it online and rallied the troops on their fanboy message board. Good Lord.

Draft saved Draft deleted