1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most bitchy, angst-ridden sports fans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Sep 5, 2006.

?

Which fans whine the most when a team or teams is in the tank?

1. Boston fans

14 vote(s)
    21.5%
  2. Philly fans

20 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. NYC fans

8 vote(s)
    12.3%
  4. Cleveland fans

9 vote(s)
    13.8%
  5. Chicago fans

10 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. Other

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. pallister

pallister Guest

Donovan McNabb can't be booed?

2. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Now? Sure, if he tanks. On draft day? SERIOUSLY? Hell, at least Jet fans boo because they know they're getting a lemon.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

BUT THEY WANTED RICKY WILLIAMS, DAMNIT!

4. Boston fans have become insufferable over the past few years. I would rather see the Yankees win than suffer through another red sox championship...and i hate the yankees with a passion.

Philly teams usually disappoint, and the fans are certainly angst ridden, but you never hear about people talk about curses, lovable losers, etc. We care about winning but don't look for excuses outside the fact that our teams just suck.

Also--unlike other fans, we haven't bought into the notion that there is something romantic or poetic about watching our team lose season after season. While other fans may hold on to blind hope year after year, we've peaked behind the curtain and seen that the men running our Oz are usually asleep at the switch. We're not holding our breath for something we know isn't coming anytime soon....it's not ideal but at least thats why we usually don't complain that we're due, etc (at least the majority of us anyway)....

sorry for the rant, but i just can't stand when other fans think that they are owed something because they haven't won anything in a while.

5. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Santa. Claus.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Philly fans are the Neanderthals, of those listed.

Boston fans (BoSox, specifically) lead in the clubhouse in the "aren't we special/poor, poor us" competition,
    seasoned with generous doses of angst. I'da thought that '04 would have changed that.
    Nope.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As someone who grew up in Philly and lived his adult life in Boston, I feel I can contribute something here.
    Their own teams are afraid of Philly fans. Listening to the Eagles talk about their home crowd is like listening to someone who breeds pit bulls for a living-affection tempered with terror.
    Boston teams never get it when their fans turn on them because those fans are the most ga-ga prep parent boosters when things go well. A guy I used to work with at the Herald said it best: "After each win, Sox fans think they'll never lose another game. After each loss, they think they'll never win another." A bipolar fan base can be tough on an athlete.
    In addition, and I say this with all affection for both cities, each can be insufferable in their own way. Philly fans make a fetish of their nastiness. It's FUN to be vicious. Boston fans embrace snottiness. They're personally offended by the way sports are today, and would rather have a team of nine or eleven or five Chip Hiltons that finish up the track then flaky or surly winners.
    The difference between the two towns might best be summarized in how each treats an impossibly gifted but often impossible superstar, Allen Iverson in Philly, Manny Ramirez here. Phily fans know that AI drives coaches and management to serious substance abuse, and they'll boo him on those 6 for 29 shooting nights, but deep down, they adore him. They appreciate that AI's oddness is part of the package that makes him leave it all out on the court each night.
    Manny, by contrast, is an ongoing controversy in Boston. He doesn't "play the game right", a noxious term. Basically, except for hitting the ball, Ramirez doesn't see what the fuss of the big leagues is all about. That's weird for a Hall of Famer.
    It ain't just Manny, either. He's the subject of the same complaints made about Williams, Yaz, and Rice.
    Were I a player, I'd rather have honest haters than false friends in my corner, but that's just me.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

None of the above... College football fans, probably in the SEC are the bitchiest fans in the country...

In pro sports, it's Boston or Philly. I love both cities, but I fucking hate the sports fans in both places...

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

University of Florida football fans and alumni...they drove their God, Steve Spurrier, out because he said publicly that 10-2 seasons weren't good enough for them. And he was the only coach who ever won anything for them. No SEC titles, no 10-win seasons, no national championship, no major bowl victories in the school's entire history, until Spurrier got there, and they still ran him off.

Now, picture that arrogance pre-Spurrier, when they hadn't won a damn thing and were still the worst collection of pompous asses among college fans, ever -- no matter how many times Bobby Bowden or whoever was coaching Miami handed them their ass, they still pictured themselves as the superior program in the state.

Dan Jenkins once wrote that Florida fans had the arrogance of Alabama and the tradition of Vanderbilt.

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

He carried that shitty offense to 4 straight NFC championship games. Without Donovan, they would've gotten stuck with........Koy Detmer.

11. KP

KP Active Member

Bipolar, good way to describe Bostonians.

Here's the way this looser sees it. If they bust their ass and come up short there's nothing to boo about. Dog it down the line, you're going to hear about it.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Boston sports fans are damned near intolerable.

Draft saved Draft deleted