1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most biased baseball announcer ....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 26, 2012.

1. I love Steve Blass, and I know that Greg Brown is very much rah rah, but I wouldn't necessarily say this

after hearing this

:) Not his best moment on air.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Between Harrellson, Santo and Harry Carey, the city of Chicago has owned this category for decades.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Pretty flawed story. They watched one game per crew? That's not nearly enough of a sample size for any crew. Well, Hawk Harrelson is an exception.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Calling this a "study" isn't very accurate.

FanGraphs did a reader poll of broadcaster rankings earlier this year that were far more comprehensive: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/broadcaster-rankings-tv-10-1/

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The other good thing about Cubs broadcasts is that they don't use a reporter on the field or in the stands.

And Harry gets credit for being a homer for four different teams during his career. Though I think he only did Sox & Cubs games on TV.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Kasper is OK. Bob Brenly is borderline unlistenable though ... especially when he goes off on an umpire or instant replay rant.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Speaking of which ...

Not gonna lie: Bob Costas' overbearing PED rants are bordering on caricature these days, too.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I liked how on the chart the writer posted an example of each team's biased comments. The Pirates' duo example was "Old McDonald, E-I-E-I, you're out!" Man, if I was watching a game and heard that comment, I would have thrown a brick through the screen.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Vin at #1? Those rankings might have been more comprehensive, but they sure weren't better.

Draft saved Draft deleted