1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most beautiful high school campuses in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'm floored by the breathtaking campus of Tacoma's Stadium High School in watching the Heath Ledger film "10 Things I Hate About You".

Any other nominations (ideally with photo)?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Just a wild guess, but I'd say the high schools in Malibu aren't too shabby.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

West Beverly High [/BYH]

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Malibu's a good starting point, clever. My first thought was the time I drove past Venice High School for the first time. Absolutely floored me that anybody went to high school there.

[​IMG]

This was the stand-in for "Rydell High" in the movie Grease.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Another one is Little Rock Central High in Arkansas (seen here in 1997, as President Clinton gave an address at the 40th anniversary of desegregation there):

[​IMG]

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I don't think this picture does it justice, but Benjamin Bosse High in Evansville, Ind., is a gorgeous building, and relatively significant historically.

[​IMG]

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I thought this was the press release for an upcoming Chris Hansen/poindexter series.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Malibu High is the only high school there. It was Malibu Park Junior High going back to the 1950s and the high school was added on the same site in the mid-90s. Before that, the residents voted where they wanted to send their kids to high school -- Santa Monica, Oxnard or Pacific Palisades. They voted to attend Santa Monica. When Malibu High opened, they still had a choice if they wanted to go there or Santa Monica. Malibu High is a bit inland, just a normal school, not a spectacular view, doesn't compare with Tacoma or even Pepperdine Univ.
    Venice High (nickname is Gondoliers, by the way) ... chain-link fence manufacturers cashed in. That wrought iron thing inside the bushes used to protect a stature of Myrna Loy, ancient actress who went there and donated a stature of herself to the school. It was typical that she would get shot at or have her arms and head blown off. In the 60s and 70s, less violent times, Venice's opponents would vandalize the statue frequently by painting a bra and panties on it or enhancing certain areas. So they build the spiked fence around it. Ol' Myrna certainly was a target.

9. Speedway

Speedway Member

Ransom Everglades in Coconut Grove, FL.

The movie "Wild Things" was filmed there.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Like Marathon High School in the Keys, you can kick an extra point into saltwater.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

No pic available on the current seminary's site, unfortunately, but back when I attended Bishop Hendricken High School in Warwick, R.I., we had our senior campus three miles away at Our Lady of Providence Seminary, overlooking Narragansett Bay on Warwick Neck (about a mile past the former Rocky Point Park). Ah, the thought of heading down to the water for a free period on a nice day. It served as Hendricken's senior campus for about 20 years before the main campus underwent expansion to accomodate the senior class.
    Much of "Meet Joe Black," with Brad Pitt and Anthony Hopkins, was filmed on the seminary grounds and the nearby Aldrich Mansion.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The Miller School of Albemarle, Charlottesville, Va.

[​IMG]

If it looks familiar, it's where Toy Soldiers was filmed.

Draft saved Draft deleted