1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most Backwards State

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Nov 20, 2008.

?

What is that most Backwards state in the Union?

1. New York

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. Oregon

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  3. Vermont

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. Louisiana

22 vote(s)
    43.1%
  5. Florida

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Of COURSE you did.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Having lived in Virginia all my life until two years ago, I'll say this.......the drivers there are horrible, but not NEARLY as bad as the drivers here in Alabama. Going 15 MPH below the limit is like drag racing speed for these people. And I'm pretty sure they sell cars down here without blinkers.

I do like the 70 MPH limit on the interstates....if only there were more than two in the entire state.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The blues, which is the base for rock and roll.

Medgar Evers, Morgan Freeman, Jim Henson, James Earl Jones, Oprah, Red Barber, Jimmy Buffett, Elvis and more blues musicians than stars in the sky.

How about Eudora Welty, Walker Percy, Faulkner, Grisham, Richard Ford or Shelby Foote?

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I was raised there ! It's home to me and I love so many aspects of it.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Because if we combined them they'd have the largest missile stockpile in the world.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Brett Favre, Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Steve McNair, Archie Manning, Charley Connerly, Fred Smoot, Lindsay Hunter, Chris (M. Rauf) Jackson, Monta Ellis, Tony Dees, Dave "Boo" Ferriss, and Charley Conerly to name a few sports figures.
    If you ever get the chance to cover Mississippi high school football (public schools) you will find it uplifting and spiritual.
    Mississippi's 5A powerhouse, South Panola High, has now won 90 straight games and 5 or 6 straight big-school state titles - without recruiting.
    Astounding sports culture and history in Mississippi.
    Lots more non-sports culture, too.
    Those who lambast it, have too often never spent time there.
    Only read about it.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You forgot Willie Morris.

Also Greenville has one of the finast steakhouses in the world - Doe's .

8. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

This list is filled with states I like. How about West Virginia, Alaska, Kentucky or Arkansas?

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm surprised West Virginia and Kansas aren't on the list.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Lived in Vermont for 10 years. Some backward folks, but it's definitely not backward by any stretch of the imagination.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Heck, Boom, would have put Connecticut on the list if he didn't live there. Maybe he could distinguish between the 203s and the 860 riff raff?

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I love it that people take time to defend "their state" on threads like this. Pure entertainment.

I mean, holy christ, Mississippi has Fred Smoot, of the Viking "love cruise" fame! How can you include Mississippi on the list?

Draft saved Draft deleted