1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most Backwards State

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Nov 20, 2008.

?

What is that most Backwards state in the Union?

1. New York

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. Oregon

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  3. Vermont

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. Louisiana

22 vote(s)
    43.1%
  5. Florida

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

It's a shame you can't combine states in the poll. I would have to say Florida (where I say I *existed,* rather than lived at one point in my life), and Louisiana, run neck-and-neck in being backward.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

None of the states I consider "backward" are on this list.

Florida is definitely a strange state, but that's in part because you have a lot of good, mixed with a lot of really bad. I kind of feel the same way about Louisiana.

I'd be thinking more Mississippi and Alabama and perhaps even Utah and Idaho to go with West Virginia.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I used to think it was South Carolina.
    I was wrong.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

What about that left-handed stove pot state that voted about as far as it could to the right?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've lived in every region of the U.S. and I've been to 48 of the 50 states (Alaska and Maine).

My bottom two would be Mississippi and West Virginia.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

What a bunch of elitists. Mississippi surely has something to offer our collective culture. I'll get back to you when I come up with something. I wouldn't skip lunch waiting for that answer, though.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Virginia retired that trophy a long, long, LONG time ago.

Note: I am NOT ripping Virginia, across the board. But I long ago learned to give those
    pushing tin bearing VA plates a wide berth on interstates.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Dead-on.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Michigan. And I say that living here.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You should rip Virginia drivers across the board. In my burg, everyone feels like it's their right to drive 15 MPH below the speed limit. I'm going to have some GTA San Andreas road rage here pretty soon.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'm going with a combined vote for North and South Dakota.

Why are they even there? Do we need TWO massive states in the middle of the nation that do absolutely nothing?? Can't even come up with their own names? Right there in the middle of everything, they have the 49th and 47th lowest populations in the country, declining every year.

Ridiculous.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There are many aspects of Virginia I happen to like.

But the driving lowest-common-denominator is the lowest in the country, to a marked degree. And I've driven extensively
    in, say, over forty of the USA's fifty states, including all of the most densely-populated, excepting Texas.

Draft saved Draft deleted