1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most Backwards State

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Nov 20, 2008.

?

What is that most Backwards state in the Union?

1. New York

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. Oregon

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  3. Vermont

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. Louisiana

22 vote(s)
    43.1%
  5. Florida

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  1. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

There are three states between Florida and Texas, and you've 'done both.'

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Correction, lived in two, spent many a night in the third.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Plasma. Being stripped of your electrons must really suck.

And who seriously wants to be solid anymore? So passe. :D

Seriously, I've always been a big believer in Texas for this distinction. Read a few Molly Ivins columns to find out more. My favorite is the story about this guy: http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?referid=8306&showtopic=69741, who asked his brother to shoot him in the arm so he could pass it off as being by a "Satanic, communistic cult" and gain more votes.

5. Red_Zone

Red_Zone New Member

They really aren't that bad. I thought that too until I took a job in South Dakota (I was a football coach at a college there.) They have some of the nicest people I have ever met in my life and the state has almost no crime. As far as what they contribute I just have one thing.....Food ! Never criticize a farmer with a mouth full of food.

6. Red_Zone

Red_Zone New Member

So what you are saying is that the states that went blue are backwards right????

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Most backward state?

The state Fenian's in. ;D

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Red_Zone, About 17 years ago, a friend and I were driving through South Dakota and stopped for the night near Sioux Falls. We went out to this place that night that this woman we met recommended (she had to have been screwing with us) and it was a bar full of men wearing holsters with guns in them. It may be the most uncomfortable I have ever felt in the U.S. We were IDed going in by two cops who looked at our NY drivers licenses and gave us the evil eye. We sat at the bar and started to have some beers and it felt like every eye in the place was on us. After about 3 minutes, one of the cops came over and told us (didn't ask or suggest) that we were going to finish our beers and leave. We weren't in the mood to argue. I don't know if we accidentally wandered into the Rocky Horror picture show, and this was Sioux Falls, which isn't the most rural place in the world, but South Dakota scared the hell out of me that day.

9. Sheri

Sheri Member

LMAO
    I wondered which page that'd show up on!

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Pussy.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

To the 25th power.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

oh sheri.

Draft saved Draft deleted