1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most Arrogant Athletes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RossLT, Jul 29, 2007.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

What he said. I think track and field athletes might be my favorite people to cover.

In my limited experience around them (thank God), I've found many tennis players, with their country-clubbing sense of entitlement, to be insufferable.

2. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

This is a waste of time. First of all, do you really mean arrogant? Or, do you mean, who treats writers the worst?

Having covered just about everything at the college and pro level, it's impossible to make those kinds of generalizations. People always say baseball, but it's way different for the regular beat writer than someone who pops into the locker room once a year looking for a story. There's good media guys and bad media guys in every sport; jerks, assholes and nice guys at all levels.

Everybody says hockey is the best, but when is the last time anybody besides Jeremy Roenick said anything remotely interesting.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

NBA players are 1,000X better to deal with than baseball players... On most baseball teams, if there are more than three or four players who are consistently pleasant (among the vets) you're doing well...

As someone else mentioned, hockey players are the best.

4. 1) Baseball. Has been, is now, and evermore shall be.
    (a distant) 2) Tennis.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I once saw 18 of 20 Washington Capitals scoot out the back door after a playoff loss. That pretty much ended the "hockey players are the world's greatest people" thing for me.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I liked covering baseball.

I vote for tennis, by a mile.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Not for nothing, but how many players in any sport stick around to answer questions after losing a playoff game/series?

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

never had a problem with MLBers ... minor leaguers on the other hand, IMHO, are cocksuckers.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Because it's the media's fault they're not in the majors.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

That's strange, Tom, because I covered minor league baseball forever and the vast majority (I'd estimate 98+ percent) of the players were great to deal with.

Can't always say that for the managers, but the players weren't the assholes some of them would become when they made the bigs.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it's kinda funny we've had reverse experiences. like i said, never had an issue covering the guys in MLB, but when i did my year in the minors, i thought the guys were dicks. probably had plenty to do with the home teams' win-loss records.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They come in all varieties in all sports. Dealt with plenty of great guys in baseball at every level. Jerks, too.
    In Barcelona in 1992, I was blown off by an EQUESTRIAN!

Draft saved Draft deleted