1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most annoying "upsell" stores

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 23, 2010.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

They are almost as easy to beat down as Highland Appliance was...

2. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Woman at the fast food place up the street from me when I ordered a combo while going through the drive-in: "Do you want that medium or large?"

Me, not thinking, "medium". Upsold. Happened once, now I just tell 'em small, no upgrade.

Right after we moved to this area, I needed some work done on the car. Both places I went kept finding hundreds of dollars of other work that needed to be done even before they fixed the original problem.

Now I go to this hole-in-the-wall place up the street that looks like a dump and is run by a couple of guys with dirt and grease up to their necks, but who fix what needs to be fixed and don't charge an arm or a leg, or try to upsell me.

3. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Time Warner Cable.

Last month, my Internet went out. After getting bounced around their help line, being forced to go through automated help that turned rebooting the modem into a 10-step process and dealing with a rep who's only suggestion was to reboot the modem *and wait 30 seconds before plugging it back in*, I was told I couldn't get a tech out to my house for several days.

I have to deal with the same rep to discuss my bill, which has gone up about $40 in the past three months (I didn't add any services). I ask if there's anything they can do to bring my payments down, he tries to get me to bundle in home phone service or agree to a 2-yr contract.

To recap: Service is not functioning properly. Tech support offers little actual support. When customer says he's unhappy, rep's response is to sell more shitty products or force a 2-year contract on customer.

Hey Time Warner Cable, fuck off.

4. tire places
    they get it up on the hoist, with the tires off, and then start telling you all sorts of nightmare scenarios about your car
    i dont know enough about mechanics to know the difference
    finally found a mechanic who doesnt play games
    love him more than anyone else in my life

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Sic ... a-freaking-men on the mechanic.

Had a situation the other day where my car was majorly leaking oil and smoke was coming out from under the hood. Engine itself wasn't smoking, but the oil was hitting the hot manifold. I take it into a guy I trust expecting the worst (blown head gasket, time to buy a new car, etc.) and though it took some time, he finds out it's a busted oil sending unit. $17 part. Before he lets me go, he says he's concerned about the oil plug, which has been stripped thanks to so many trips to Jiffy Lube and the like. Actually takes me under the car and shows me. He starts pricing parts and finds a new oil pan would cost me close to $600, so he starts looking for alternatives and finds that an oversize oil plug will fix the problem and tells me he didn't want me to have to fork over close to $800 for the repair.

Had I gone to a big box mechanic shop, I think they just would have said "new oil pan" and charged me the $800. Instead, I got out for $102 parts and labor (threw in an oil change, too.)

Third time I've been to this guy and have paid less than I've expected to. A good, local mechanic is freaking gold.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

ABC Warehouse was great for going back to college sales. I think I got a brand new toaster for $3. Five years later the thing still works!

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I tried that and had a clerk look at me and say, "Sir, I'm required to ask. I'm just doing my job." I felt bad, so I gave her a fake number.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

867-5309 is too obvious to anyone over 30. :D

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

True, very true.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

My dentist and his staff are the worst. They bang on about replacing fillings. That's all fine and dandy, but they aren't doing it because the filling is failing or cracked. They want to do the porcelain ones that cost a pretty penny. Well I fell for it once. They told me insurance would pick up half to two-thirds of the cost. That didn't happen.

Radio Shack generally leaves you alone if you know what you want. Had to buy a computer tool kit there recently. Asked them where it was. They pointed it out. I then asked some basic questions about it and that was pretty much the extent of the transaction. I don't even know if they asked me for my e-mail address.

When I worked at Best Buy in the late '90s, employees would get prizes for selling those extended warranty plans. Generally most of the items you can win were crap, but at least there was some minimal incentive to push it.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I went to Whores R Us for a simple blow job, I came out with a year's subscription to Lube-of-the-Month and what she said was a prostate exam.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Recently changed dentists and they did similar things to me. I've had the last dentist my whole life and he never tried it. So, I go in for the first appointment and they tell me I need a bit guard. THey are probably right, I do grind my teeth, but my old dentist still never told me I needed one. Anyway, they said they can do it for me, so I set up an appointment. Before the appointment comes I get an $80 bill. They say that's their practice, pay half before the procedure and half after. I called and asked for the charge removed. They said they can wait till I come in for my cleaning on the 30th. So I called my credit card company and had it removed.

Moreover, why does it cost $80 after insurance for a bite guard. Comes to a total of like $550 if I didn't have any insurance. Talked to my former orthodontist who I've seen like once since age 16, and he said he could do it for about $200, but only because the insurance doesn't cover any of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted