1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most annoying "upsell" stores

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If a place asks for your zip, tell them 38258. If they want your phone number it's 382-5968

If you want to know the significance, go to your phone.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Actually had an eye doctor upsell a "year's supply of contacts" to my wife. I wasn't pleased when she came home with 8 boxes for each eye. I tried to explain that she would probably only go through four-five boxes in a year and then she'd need another eye exam but she didn't want to hear it.

After working in retail just out of college I learned the art of the upsell. It's a necessary evil if you run a retail business. There is an art to it. Not like every time I go to Sonic for ice cream and they try to sell me cheddar bites or a coney because they have to.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Oil Can Henry's is the worst.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

My raises at Cracker Barrel were pegged in part to my ability to sell stuff at the counter when I was working the register. Well, not so much my ability to sell stuff as my fortune at having people buy stuff they were going to buy anyway.

The goal was to have at least 33 percent of your transactions involve a retail purchase (as in not served food), and every month we'd have some random impulse buy on the counter (lemon drops, lip balm, country CDs) that we had to sell. But they didn't really record your impulse buy of the month purchases unless there was a contest, they just wanted you to sell stuff. Thing of it was, people who went into CB were already going to buy what they were going to buy anyway, in most cases. I can count on two hands in the year I worked there how many times I convinced someone to make a purchase. But we'd keep selling because that was part of the job -- never mind that when we made our quota, it never had anything to do with us and everything to do with that string of customers who bought pecan logs and cast-iron skillets.

I always try to buy the impluse item at the counter as a customer, knowing what they're dealing with. Unless it's licorice. Screw that.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I always tell them it's a company car, and I don't have the authority to approve another service.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Yes. Plus they have to wear those lame outfits.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Every time I go the Elks Lodge here in town and order a beer, the bartender talks me into having a shot, and every time I order a shot, the bartender talks me into a double.
    I love that place.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Express gets you by giving you coupons for like $20 off of your next $75 purchase, so does Macy's. Macy's sends them in the mail, they always get me.

LA Fitness is terrible. Probably the worst. That's why I don't go there. In fact, gyms are notorious for this.

Someone mentioned Men's Warehouse, I just think their salespeople suck in general. Then again not as bad as the car dealer who sold me a pair of rims and said they were chrome, but really they were chrome dipped, that's a whole different story.

Obviously, Best Buy sucks. Haven't experienced the problems at Radio Shack.

One good upsell experience: KFC! At one of those dual joints that has a KFC Taco Bell, I ordered a Gordita and a snacker. They offered me the second snacker for 50 cents. Score!

Also, muffler/oil change places suck to the point where I don't want to go anymore because I'm paranoid after I don't get all the extras.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

At the airport yesterday, I was shocked at how shameless the rental-car people were. Want this? Want that? What about this? How about that? We offer this and we offer that, yadda, yadda, yadda. Just a bunch of badgering assholes dressed way above their pay grade. STFU, already, and gimme the keys.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Went to my BB and have no idea what this means.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Ah yes! The car rental place.

Guy: You want the insurance
    Me: Nope
    Guy: Well, how will you pay for an accident?
    Me: I'm not going to get in an accident.
    Guy: But what if you do?
    Me: (Being a complete ass hole) What if the moon falls out of the sky?
    Guy: I just need to know how you will pay for it if you get in an accident.
    Me: It's a state law that you need car insurance. You know this because you work at Enterprise. And I also gave you my credit card in case I have a scratch on the car. That credit card also has rental car insurance coverage on it. You also know this because you work at Enterprise.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

"Now, it's nothing serious finishthehat, but you could really use a new air filter. As you can see here, it's not too bad, but it is a little dirty. We can go ahead and do that for you right now for $30 if you'd like, just be a few minutes."

Draft saved Draft deleted