1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most annoying "upsell" stores

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This might be my biggest pet peeve in the world: I walk into Radio Shack to buy a battery for my kid's toy. And the clerk won't leave me alone about getting a new cell phone. I hate being upsold - hate, hate, hate hate it.

The worst:

(1) Radio Shack. Aforementioned cell phones. Absolutely won't take no for an answer.

(2) Best Buy. Warranties now. But at one point I stopped going there for a couple years because I didn't want to be hassled to purchase an Entertainment Weekly subscription.

(3) Men's Wearhouse. I've only shopped there once, but I've heard from plenty of other people with the same experience. I just went in to buy a blue blazer, and before I knew it the woman is bringing out shirt-and-tie combinations, dress shoes, dragging me to the polo shirts. Just one after the other. I told her I didn't want any shirts or ties. Next thing I know, she's bringing out three more combos and saying, "Well maybe one of these." Absolutely the most annoying shopping experience of my life.

2. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Starbucks. Smoothie King. Panera.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Radio Shack has stopped immediately asking for my zip code and address. Perhaps becasuse of the stink-eye I give the clerks in anticipation of that crap. Buy a couple batteries and I'm supposed to provide full contact info including children's names? Get the bleep outta here!

Best Buy never, ever fails to try to sell an extended warranty. But my experience has been, as soon as I say no, they stop. My sense is, if you open the door even a little by asking about it ("uh, what does it cover?"), they launch into a full-scale attack.

Can't even begin to name the restaurants that push appetizers. Do I look like I need some more deep-friend lard balls? After ordering a salad as an entree?

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

For smaller stuff like video games, yes. But when I bought my laptop a year ago, they pressed the extended warranty issue so hard that I was seriously tempted to call off the transaction and go elsewhere with my business. Ultimately I didn't, but they were really being passive-aggressive about it and pushed me very close to that point.

But that was one incident, so I wouldn't use it as an analogue to the Best Buy experience as a whole.

5. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Yeah, Best Buy sales associates can be a lil pressed to offer the PSP (Performance service plan). I should know, I used to work there. However, they don't make a commission and don't get anything out of you purchasing the PSP, personally. Obviously the store makes a lil something-something off the plans.

I bought my MacBook there two summers ago only because they were offering no interest for 18 months and some other things to go with it. I was in and out of the store in 20 minutes and had a brief conversation about not wanting the PSP but that I was going to go with Apple Care.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I worked in a men's store in high school and trust me, I used to upsell all the time. Thing is, you have to be able to read your customer and not try and upsell people who clearly know how to dress with confidence.

However, you can usually tell people that don't have a clue about picking out a shirt and tie to match that new grey striped suit they just bought. And they're usually gratetful for the help. You can upsell without being pushy or obnoxious.

Oh, and did I mention McDonald's? They're always trying to upsize my order

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

When I bought my laptop a few months ago at Best Buy, they didn't pressure me that much about the PSP. Of course, I also didn't ask many questions, since I had done a good bit of research.

The one thing they did do was make their Ask The Geek Squad thing part of the purchase. I mean, actually put the $19.99 cost on the bill. And they lowered the laptop price by $20.

8. highlander

highlander Member

I saw this thread and immediately thought of Radio Shack's address, phone number, e-mail address policy. I just don't go there anymore. I get your stuff in the mail every month. You have a my damn address, just let me buy two AA batteries. PLEASE!

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I only went there a couple of times (really) before it closed up shop in my neck of the Toronto 'burbs, but Hooters was bad for it with their waitresses flogging calendars that were a year old. And the food was shitty too.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Interesting. So if someone actually came in knowing what they were doing when it came to dressing - or perhaps looking like it - you typically laid off them?

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Those quick oil-change places can be bad. I can slam it down easily enough, but I always have to warn my wife and kid before they go.

12. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

My goodness, I agree with Finishthehat. Grease Monkey is terrible. I grew up changing my own oil but the lack of ramps has made me have a place like this do it. And they charge a pretty penny.

Draft saved Draft deleted