1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moss back to Minnesota

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 6, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Ohhh, so it was via his cell phone? Well, as you pointed out, that opens up a whole nother can of worms.

Point taken, Elliotte.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Not sure why this would be a bad trade for the Vikings. What, it was only a matter of time until the Berrian-Camarillo combo really took off?

And Bubbler, prepare to weep in your cheap beer as the moon returns to Green Bay, the Vikings go 12-4 and this generation's Lynn Dickey leads the Pack to a sterling 10-6 mark.

It's 1998 all over again (uh, minus the NFC title game).

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. spnited

spnited Active Member

As a one-season rental this looks like a good deal for the Vikes.
    And why would Moss want an extension when the diva QB is likely to retire (maybe even for good this time) after the season, leaving the Vikes with no one to throw Moss the ball.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I have three Vikings jerseys (two on clearance, one a gift) and I'm not buying a new one just because Moss gets a new number. (Might get a new number, that's not been publicized as far as I know.)

As far as the Dome - those of us who have been fans for more than 40 years hopefully remember the whole, sad story when the Vikings, led and encouraged by a group of downtown Minneapolis business old farts, demanded a downtown stadium. Even though at that time where Metropolitan Sports Complex (the stadium and Met Center) was wide open at the time and there would have been plenty of space for a new stadium and parking in Bloomington, that group shoved the "Dumb-dee Dome" down our throats.

With a $6.5 billion budget deficit at the state level, any smart legislator is not going to outright support public funding for a new stadium (especially those who remember the Dome's history.) The state has slashed local government aid and has borrowed from funding which is supposed to go school districts state-wide. The state needs to take care of the budget crisis (and I do not use that word lightly) before stadium funding could be examined.

Quite frankly, I might be a lifelong Vikings fan, but if the rest of us are having to suck it up and do without, the Vikings would be wise to do the same. It would go a long way towards fostering good will.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That's what I don't understand. Why not draft a QB to groom, at the very least? I don't count Joe Webb even if he does pan out - they drafted him as a receiver (although I won't complain if they luck into something with him).

I spent the entire night talking myself into Clausen when they traded out of the first round. Then I thought they'd make a run at McCoy. Kafka was out there and he's gotten good reviews. Whatever you think of them, Tony Pike and Dan LeFevour were there. Why not take a shot? Is Favre going to get offended, leave and go to the Seahawks, then come back with the Bears after a year to stick it to the Pack and Vikes? Probably yes, but that would be kind of awesome.

As of now, they've got TJack next year, and that ain't good. Luck is looking like a top-5 pick, and Locker probably won't fall far enough to get to them. Who else is out there?

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The odd thing about this trade is that Moss is running by far the best risk-reward ratio of all three parties. The Pats are taking an obvious risk in letting an HoF player go from an offense that must be productive for them to win, the Vikings are taking an obvious risk in encouraging Favre's worst habits (they had little choice, they needed a receiver), but Moss is taking no risks at all.
    If he wants an extension, then Moss has clearly benefited. He had no chance of getting one from the Pats, so he can't be any worse off with the Vikes, and might even be better off if he has a good start there.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Seems as if Moss was becoming a problem in the Pats' locker room (shocking!): http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/06/sources-moss-was-becoming-a-distraction-in-new-england/

8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

They had to do something, especially with Sidney Rice possibly missing the entire year.

Thumbs up:

[​IMG]

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Machine Head, no pics of He Who Shall Not Be Named!

Go to your room!

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Rosie is BAAAACK! Yes!

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Seems highly dubious to me.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The only way this is a good trade for the Pats is if they go out and get another receiver. Welker is great, but he's never been a No. 1.

For the Vikings, I respect that they're all in, but this has the potential to end very badly. Last year, teams went in against the Vikings looking to stop the running game and Favre went to town. This year, thanks to what the Saints did to them in the NFC title game, they're going after Favre more. It will be interesting to see how this swings things.

The two teams in the NFL who need a new stadium are Minnesota and San Francisco.

Draft saved Draft deleted