1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moses Lake, Wash.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Brain of J, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

Anyone know anything about this one? Would you get to cover the Microsoft softball team??

Company: Columbia Basin Herald
    Position:
    Seeking reporter who loves sports
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    April 9, 2007
    Job ID: 746381

Description:
    Do you love sports? We need help in our newsroom.

The Columbia Basin Herald is a daily newspaper seeking a sports reporter. The successful candidate will be responsible for writing sports news and features, and photography. Our newspaper covers 11 high schools, one local college, and Washington State University, in addition to the professional teams in Seattle.

Our next sports reporter must be able to have well-developed skills in English and the AP style, know and understand sports, be able to edit copy, work well with others, be an energetic team player, capable of handling multiple projects, bear strong interpersonal skills and would enjoy being surrounded by a fun loving group of co-workers.

Experience and the ability to perform layout using Adobe InDesign and Photoshop are pluses. This position could lead the right person to becoming our next sports editor.

The Columbia Basin Herald is a newspaper with a circulation of 9,000 publishing Monday through Friday from the shores of Moses Lake, Wash. Moses Lake offers a great small town feel with big city features. Outdoor recreation is near by with close locations for skiing, powersports, fishing, golf and more. Our area continues to grow with the recent additions of Microsoft and Yahoo! data centers and a $600 million silicon plant expansion, all surrounded by farms of potatoes, onions, mint and cattle.

Send a résumé, cover letter and any clips by e-mail to managing editor Bill Stevenson at editor@columbiabasinherald.com or by mail to 813 W. 3rd, Moses Lake, WA 98837.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

No. The main campus is still in Redmond, a suburb of Seattle. I would assume all of the softball teams are built out of that campus.

3. WSKY

WSKY Member

Mmmm ... the smell of mint and cow pies right outside of town. Where do I sign up?

4. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

You'll die of boredom. Otherwise, enjoy!

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I wouldn't qualify the Tri Cities as big, though. Spokane and Seattle would be the only real cities nearby. I've only driven through Moses Lake, though I stopped at a gas station once and I have heard from relatives in Eastern Washington that it is a strange town.

6. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

By "covering Washington State University, in addition to the professional teams in Seattle," they mean "running AP stories about."

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Good point. I laughed when I initially read that.

8. m2spts

m2spts Member

What's important is giving your readers the best possible coverage, whether it is locally written or written by AP, etc.
    I wouldn't send an entry level writer out to cover, say, the 49ers or Warriors when we could utilize someone from one of the Bay Area papers. I would send someone to do some sort of second-day feature, at least until he is able to put his gee-whiz attitude aside and do a professional report.
    Some papers in SoCal actually are bypassing their own people to use wire service accounts.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Moses Lake also has a summer college wood bat baseball league team.

It's 180 miles to Seattle, across the pass; 100 miles to Spokane, and about two hours to Pullman.

10. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Right, but when an ad says, "Our newspaper covers 11 high schools, one local college, and Washington State University, in addition to the professional teams in Seattle." It makes it appear that they might be in the press box at Safeco Field or Martin Stadium, when they will actually be covering Moses Lake and Ephrata high schools.

11. m2spts

m2spts Member

True. Good point.
    But the right person could make this an interesting gig.
    Out of curiosity, I looked at the Web site and housing, then contacted someone who knows the area.
    A paper like that can't compete with the bigger papers on a day to day basis, of course, but it could attract someone willing to do the other stuff and also able to connect on the other assignments.
    It all depends on what you want.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I didn't realize it is so far from Spokane and that trip to Seattle is no fun in the winter. You would really have to have no problem living in the middle of nowhere for this gig.

Draft saved Draft deleted