1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

mort's falling credibility

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Sep 11, 2007.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

it's a crying shame how the world of espn has been dragging the likes of chris mortensen down for quite a while now. the race to be first, especially on its nfl pre-game shows on sunday and monday, has clearly negatively affected his batting average.

the latest example: monday, when mort reported eli manning would be out a month with a separated throwing shoulder. everybody in the n.y. marketplace went scurrying, with manning and the giants denying this to be true.

now, here's mort's latest spin: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3015000

what a backtrack. :eek: :eek: :eek:

2. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Good point, Shockey.

I don't get my news from ESPN that much anymore.

I just come to SportsJournalists.com and then track down the news on other Internet sites (including ESPN) until I think all the angles are covered.

And I don't have to put up with all the fireworks and talking heads on ESPN.

This site is a great starting point, with plenty of opinions and questions to be raised.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm a Mort fan, but he really hurt himself with his early read re Vick, and this doesn't help.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

hey, i've been a huge mort fan since i became involved in nfl coverage 24 years ago. he was a kick-ass newspaper guy and an on-the-money football maven for espn for years.

of late, though, you can see how he's felt the pressure to jump the gun. it's sad.

5. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

It doesn't seem the Mort has had his credibility hit at all here. Seems like no one is in agreement on exactly what is going on here and the hands on doctors initially said it would be 3 or 4 weeks which was Morts source so I don't agree with your assessment. Maybe some more ESPN bashing going on here.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Maybe Mort should refuse to be shown in those stupid TV ads for ESPN's NFL show coverage and just be a reporter who can be trusted. I agree, he was a strong newspaper guy but now? Not so much.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

wtf? the "hands-on" docs never said anything about "3-4 weeks." there still seems to be every chance eli could even play this week. his report tonight even admits this. if this isn't a credibility hit, what is?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And when you're dealing with a coach like Coughlin, it's easy to see how the speculation varies since the prick won't reveal any more than he is required to.

9. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Clearly, his new buzzcut is putting a damper on his credibility.

Either that, or some cockshots.

Draft saved Draft deleted