1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morrissey vs. Mariotti

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wisportswriter, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Presuming it's true, it's just what you would expect . . .

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Not to be a moron, but why?

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . from someone who's clearly as locker-room-phobic as JM . . .

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

I couldn't pick Ortiz out of a police lineup with him and only one other person in it, but that is a great column. Very well done.

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Disagree.
    Buckwheat? The "hapless Latino in the old Westerns?" I get his point, but it reads a little like a simplistic high-school civics essay (and it's "loudly", not "loud").
    There are people who still look at minorities as caricatures, even in 2006. And to single out just those three baseball men as the sole cause of this alleged non-caricaturization is laughable. And to claim that Ozzie's diarrhea of the mouth will set the "cause" back is even more so.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Well said. Since when is fricking Ozzie Guillen supposed to be the gauge for Latinos' accomplishments? He manages a baseball team, for crying out loud. I would hope there would be many, many other role models.

He already has posted his major accomplishment: exposing Jay Mariotti for not doing his job properly.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Like dozens of infielders from abroad, from Andres Thomas to Edgar Renteria and beyond, he made himself out of nothing. He is more a self-made man than everyone on Around the Horn put together.

How far has pussy boy Jay Mariotti come in comparison?

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Which brings me to my next question: Was Guillen saying/doing this crap when he was a player? I seem to remember a meltdown when the Sox cut him loose, but he's hardly alone in that situation.

9. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Well, THAT sorts out things for me. Thanks for getting to the heart of the matter. ;)

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

It might explain some of his temper issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted