1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morrissey vs. Mariotti

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wisportswriter, Jun 23, 2006.

1. soccer dad

soccer dad Guest

the american marty york.

2. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Oh, Tony was great. He just got a little excited from time to time, and I happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Before and after that interlude, I got wonderful stuff from him.

One of my favorite memories is watching the end of the OJ chase in the Tiger Stadium clubhouse with Tony doing commentary. I can't print a single word of it, as anyone who covered Tony would expect, but it was hysterical.

He was worthless for electronic media and he would cut you off in a heartbeat if you ever referred to him as a utility man, but he was never dull.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Phillips was awful the year I had him in Strat-O-Matic. A 4 at every position and really only a good hitter from one side of the plate.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

CT: beautiful.

Real Chicago journalists (from my time . . . ) weep.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Are these the same "real journalists" who needed Guillen to shed light on the whole thing?
    The same "real journalists" who were beaten by a blogger at the start of the year and now by a manager?

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Holy shit, how did he even get a big-time job, much less keep one?

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

DyePack: My hunch is that the real journalists in Chicago found something better (more interesting? more important?) to write about than Jay Mariotti.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

By being an effective shit-stirrer.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I guess the standards have changed.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The Doctor is correct. On the tab side, shit-stirring is paramount.

11. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Here it is (link here: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/3999666.html

First few grafs:
    Jackie Robinson, Roberto Clemente and Felipe Alou broke barriers and paid heavy prices while eliminating stereotypes so America could look at Latinos and African-Americans with respect. At times, they bit their tongues. On important occasions, they spoke loud and led the chorus for the rights of their people.

Because of people such as Robinson, Clemente and Alou, now we rarely ever see characters such as Buckwheat of the Our Gang movies or the hapless Latino character that you once saw in old Westerns. Robinson, Clemente and Alou are reasons their people are no longer looked upon as caricatures.

Sadly, however, Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen is setting his people back with his series of ignorant and vulgar rants....

12. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

If that's true, that's wholly unacceptable for anyone -- big-city columnist or weekly preps writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted