1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morrissey vs. Mariotti

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wisportswriter, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Here we go....

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

1. I'm guessing by context there's a good chance Telander didn't know what mano a mano meant.
    2. Calling the gay guys was a great touch, but otherwise the column was uniquely forgettable.
    2. Morrisey's calling the blogger potshots were cliche and outdated.

3. soccer dad

soccer dad Guest

you really seem to revel in the attacks on mariotti. personally, i think hes a clown, but is there a reason you are so gleeful?

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I actually wondered about that. I covered the Final Four this year, which seems like old-home week for a lot of the big writers. Always packs of 3-4 people in the press room here and there before games, probably talking about their next book deals or something. But Mariotti, sitting one table over from me, always kept to himself and didn't seem to have any interactions with anyone. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it was different from the norm.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Didn't he work at the Denver Post?

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Not gleeful at all--just honest. Doesn't seem I'm the only one, why are my comments so specifically intriguing to you?

If i don't bother to cite my personal experiences with Jay, you will have to forgive me, but there are many others who can tell their own version of encounters with his ridiculous temper and laughable outbursts. Seems his colleagues are doing just that.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But if you do have a personal ancedote you can share with the class, feel free....

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Yes, he did. Woody Paige fired him, which is another Marriotti feud that's gone on for years.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, he carried on a multi-season campaign to run John Elway out of town, which, IIRC, was short-circuited by Jay's departure just as Elway was about to win two Super Bowls. :D :D :D

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Update at Wenalway:

http://www.wenalway.com/introduction/introduction.htm

11. Pocket Aces

Pocket Aces Guest

The egocentric columnists do this. They feel that no one else covering said event is worthy of their company.

12. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Ted Cox of the Daily Herald has a different take on Guillen-gate:

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/beatwriters.asp?column=cox

My favorite excerpt:

"Anyone like Mariotti who has ever used the phrase “The Big Skirt” in addressing Frank Thomas doesn’t have a leg to stand on in taking offense when his manhood is questioned."

Draft saved Draft deleted