1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morrissey vs. Mariotti

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wisportswriter, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Why. Does. Melissa. Write. That. Way.?

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Telander's column was an excellent read.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think most readers would not even realize Mariotti was being hit. He was more like a pickpocket making off with Jay's wallet and no one saw a thing.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Good. Question. It's. Annoying.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Despite Telander's denial, I assume this quote is accurate, which makes Telander my hero. ;D

6. I've known Jay for more than 20 years. He loves this, believes this type of thing is what a columnist in a town such as Chicago is required to do, stir it up and get people talking about you and your columns. And this MO with him isn't new ... Let's look at his stops in Detroit, Denver, New York, etc ...

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Funny how no one has addressed the big question: How does Mariotti keep his job when apparently he makes a pattern of not doing it properly?

Also, good to see the Tribune printing an entire page of PC bullshit about the whole thing and how it was handled. The paper has done an absolutely pathetic job of covering the Cubs this year (Move Murton to first! Send Murton to the minors! Why did it take so long to get Nevin? The Cubs will trade Nevin when Lee comes back!).

I'd like to see Morrissey vs. Mariotti expand to Morrissey vs. Mariotti vs. three hungry coyotes. That would be something to see.

8. Not that I want to set off the folks who believe that BLOGS! will save the world, but the just-a-buncha-guys-in-their-underwear/pajamas has been a lameass cliche for three years now.
    Morrissey should have done better.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sometimes you just have to envision the enemy that way to keep your sanity.

10. Be fair. Three of those stops -- Denver, his second stop in Detroit, and NYC -- were with The National, which kept moving him around when their local columnists quit and went back to their old jobs.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And he left Detroit because of other issues... if memory serves me, the Detroit News management frowned on him covering a game from the stands with his buddies..

You want to talk about the elephant?

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Mariotti has buddies?? :eek: :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted