1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morrissey on Jerome Holtzman and the Importance of Beat Writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No, I don't think it was intended as a Holtzman tribute at all. The opening of the White Sox tribute to Jerome was the starting point for his comments about the importance of having reporters who know their stuff covering the beat.

Don't see anything wrong with that.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Except that the headline and subhead are:

Jerome Holtzman a true Hall of Famer
    Baseball writer was master at talking, listening, reporting

Whomever wrote those (probably not Morrissey) didn't get the memo ...

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Yeah, I didn't get that either, and never a good thing when the headline and the article aren't on the same page.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

All I can say is: Bigmouth strikes again.

5. SportsScribe5

SportsScribe5 Member

Morrissey is on the money here. Strong beat writers just don't get the credit they deserve these days. There is a HUGE difference between opinion and informed opinion. Unfortunately, 95 percent of the world struggles to figure out that distinction anymore.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I've been saying this for years. The most irreplaceable people with the safest jobs in our industry are the best reporters. For example, in baseball, guys like Ken Rosenthal and Gordon Edes will never be without work. Everyone's got an opinion, only a select few have an well-informed opinion.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Until they and their brethern are making too much money, relative to the other salaries left on staff, and they have to be laid off so someone cheaper can get the job.

It is their, and other top beat writers', misfortune to have built their reputations while papers still were giving out raises. Now their higher salaries are like targets painted on their backs for the bean counters. (Obviously, not talking about Rosenthal and Edes specifically, but the best beat writers. Good used to = expensive, now expensive = expendable.)

Draft saved Draft deleted