1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morrissey And The NFL Network

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Thirsty And Vacant, Sep 27, 2008.

1. I don't know about y'all, but that NFL Network promo that bites Morrissey's "Everyday Is Like Sunday" makes me cringe every time I see it.

It's kind of akin to that jean commercial that used part of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Fortunate Son" - "I was born to raise the flag/oooh, the red, white and blue" - in which the body of the song is taken out of context for promotional purposes.

Yeah, I know there are more serious things to grouse about nowadays (the proposed bailout, bank failures, wars, crappy economy.

I just wonder what Gen-X marketing/ad guru came up with the idea to use that song.

Hope ol' Moz got a nice check out of it, though.

2. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

I was wondering if Mozzer has the rights, or if Warner Bros. does, because I just can't see him going for this. And if you know the context of the rest of the song, it's really out of whack for the NFL's purposes.

If he had any say, well, indeed I hope he got a nice check. Maybe it was his call -- he's definitely a sports fan, though I figured soccer (Your Arsenal) was about his only concern in that area.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Morrissey ... What a fucking sellout!

;D

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I can't believe the NFL went for it.

I mean, are they brain-dead, or what?

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The same guru who thought "Lust for Life" would be good for selling cruises.

6. I forgot about "Lust For Life" and the cruise. That one is truly absurd. Good one, Huggy.

Probably a small percentage of NFL Network viewers know of Morrissey or that song.

As for me, listening to a lot of Morrissey and drinking unhealthy amounts of Shiner Bock helped get me through college.

To reference a thread on the jobs board, I discovered Morrissey at the University of North Texas bookstore many moons ago while browsing through some CDs. I think it was the song "Ouija Board, Ouija Board" that caught my eye.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

If the NFL wasn't willing or able to use the original (which has an honored place on my iPod), it shouldn't have bothered.

8. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

Trudging slowly over wet grass
    Back to the bench, where your coach is screamin' ....
    ----------------------------------------

OK, somebody pick me up from here.

9. "Come armageddon, come armageddon come"

Probably fits the thoughts of many Raiders and Rams fans.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Morrissey's lyrics in several songs would work nicely in the NFL:

Any injured player: "I fell down on the crossbar. And the pain was enough to make a shy, bald Buddhist reflect and plan a mass murder."

Lane Kiffin: "I was looking for a job, and then I found a job. And heaven knows I'm miserable now."

Coach to lame QB: "As I live and breathe, you have killed me."

Any coach on the replay-challenge system: "Within an hour, the power could totally destroy me, or it could save my life."

QB on losing starting job in preseason: "We hate it when our friends become successful."

Chargers coach Norv Turner on Ed Hochuli: "They who wish to hurt you work within the law."

Bill Belichick: "The world is full of crashing bores. And I must be one because no one turns to me to say, 'Take me in your arms and love me.' "

"I've had my face dragged in 50 miles of shit. And I do not, and I do not, and I do not like it. So how can anybody say they know how I feel? The only one around here who is me is me."

Norv Turner again: "And as for you, in your unfirom, your smelly uniform, you think you can be rude to me because you wear a smelly uniform. But even I, as sick as I am, I would never be you."

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Chargers vs. Saints: "Panic on the streets of London"

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

For Tony Romo...

If you're wondering why
    All the love that you long for eludes you
    And people are rude and cruel to you
    I'll tell you why
    I'll tell you why
    I'll tell you why