1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morris pay cuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Diabeetus, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Spot on, hondo. The furlough means I take a 3.8 percent pay cut, with no raise this year. But can I just up and quit? I guess if I wanted to live under a bridge, sure. But I'd rather not. It sucks, but it's not like my company -- or my industry -- is the only one doing this.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I won't pretend to know your situation, but what if you were laid off? Would you be living under a bridge once the unemployment ran out?

3. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Another sign that newspaper leadership how no f'ing clue. Instead of coming up with real solutions, they're just copying what other companies are doing. Makes you wonder why anyone deserves such huge salaries - and bonuses - in this day and age.

Very few original ideas.

Sad, just sad.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I was let go from a Morris paper just about a month ago, after they had already cut everyone's overtime. At the time, it was devestating. Now, I consider it a favor. I now have a head start on everyone at the paper that will soon be looking for a new job, forced or otherwise, in the near future.

I have several friends at several different Morris papers and this totally blows. I truly feel for them. What is the over/under on when they attempt furloughs? I give it three months.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

i don't put anything past Morris but to cut someone's salary AND force them to take a furlough, I hope it doesn't come to that.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

A major reason I left Morris was that I couldn't pay anybody. Rightfully, these people should be getting raises if it's as it once was. Not that that would happen, obviously.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

If I were laid off, I'd be in a world of hurt, let's just put it that way. I could make rent for maybe two months.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i know exactly how much i'd make if i were laid off. i'd do fine until UE ran out. it'd be tight, but we'd make it.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Well, like I said earlier in the thread, if I lost this job, I'd walk six blocks down to the nearest fast-food place, ask to be a shift-leader and make 80-95% of what I make now.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think workers in any business, let alone journalism, where there's an emotional discount, will accept sacrifices in hard times IF they have some belief that management has a plan to turn things around or at a minimum stabilize the situation.
    You would have to be unable to read to believe that about the newspaper business, and that's what makes this time of troubles so dispiriting. The Morris nitwits will simply watch their business shrivel. They don't know what else to do.

11. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I'm shocked to hear someone in the Morris chain other than billy makes more than $25k/ year :eek:

I also debated whether or not to use the blue font

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

In the past four months, at the paper I was at at least, they eliminated overtime (as in "don't bother claiming it cuz we ain't paying it"), had a round of layoffs that axed 25 people through the whole building (myself included) and now these pay cuts. A Morris paper just down the road has had three rounds of layoffs in the past year.

I just fear for the people still at the paper that these pay cuts will buy them another few months before Billy Morris realizes he's still fucked and has to take more action. I would think furloughs would be next, but that may just be wishful thinking. They could easily skip the furloughs are go right to more layoffs.

And for those talking about what you would do if you were laid off, I think you'd be surprised. You'll find a way to get by until something else comes along. My initial reaction when I was laid off was "I'm fucked. Make room in the basement mom and dad." But through UE and busting my ass to do extra freelance work, I'm getting by. It isn't a permanent fix, but it is getting me through till I find another job. That survival instinct kicks in when the possibility of moving back in with the 'rents looms.

Draft saved Draft deleted